Rotting stems on Wisteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onebettanewbie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had Wisteria in my tank for 3+ months now. At first I tried to plant it in the substrate (small gravel with laterite). It kept floating up and I had to keep replanting it and I noticed the stems were rotting. So I gave up on planting it and tied the stems to small pot shards to weigh it down. I took it all out today to switch from pot shards to river rock and noticed the weighted ends were rotted again. I cut the rotted part off and went ahead and tied the healthy stems to the rocks as planned.

Any idea what is causing this? Is it just normal for Wisteria to do this? Could it be pressure from the fishing line I used to tie the stems? The fishing line didn't cut the stems as far as I can see. Aside from the ends, the plants appear healthy and growing both leaves and roots.

Just in case it matters: It's a 5.5 gal tank, 14W flurorescent light with 5,000 K, .25 ml Flourish comprehensive weekly. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, PH 7.6.

If stem plants are wraped too tightly the will rot away as you've described.

Back
Top Bottom