Rouge levels??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainMako

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody, I'm having trouble with phantom chemical levels. While normally the solution would be my bacteria eating everything up, my tank has been cycled for god knows how long. I've noticed one of my six mollies gradually becoming skinnier, and he seems to have some permanent damage on his mouth from fungas that has since cleared up. I checked it this morning, and only some of the six mollies have popeye. I'm currently treating with Pimafix and Melafix as well as Kordon ammonia detoxifier, as it's worked miracles for me before.

I tested ammonia this morning and it read 0, then went to nitrites. I'm not sure exactly what it read, but it definitely was not the blueish color it should be if it was zero, moreso a purple (using the Acqueon freshwater testing kit). So I rushed here to ask for some help and I'm going to do a water change.

This is beyond my comprehension, because I just did a large water change two days ago.

Additional notes:

I have had some natural algae grow on one spot of my tank, on a large rock accent near the front of the glass.

The glass itself has clouded sections on the inside (been there for a long time), pretty much all over the tank. I'm just assuming it's my bacteria colony.

While I have taken over care of two large fishtanks at my school, I don't recall either of the foreign tanks having any kind of disease, nor any of my equipment causing cross contamination.

I have added a second filter cartridge to my filter, but its been there for a while and I didn't remove the old one. The old one is falling apart and I wanted to transfer some bacteria to this new one.

In addition to the tetramin flakes that they have always been fed, I just started occasionally feeding my mollies blocks of frozen brine shrimp.

If anyone knows what could be causing these sudden explosions of levels or the fungus that keeps coming back and disappearing, please help me. I'm going to go do a large water change and I will be back.

-Thank you very, very much
Shaun

I suspect the nitrite levels may be causing the eye issues but i cant rule out some other disease for sure. Have you introduced any new fish lately? That may cause a spike in amm/nitrites while your bb adjust to the increased bioload. New fish would also be source for possible diseases. The only other thing i can think of right now (besides possible contamination) is checking your water source for amm/nitrites/nitrates. Hope this helps a bit!

Nope, no new fish and nothing with my water supply has changed to my knowledge. I have no idea what effect that algae growth could have, or if something has changed because of the introducing of frozen brine shrimp to the tank. ugh.

Just a thought but maybe the frozen brine shrimp is causing the problems? If thats the only 'new' thing you have introduced and your tap water is fine, logical deduction leaves us with the shrimp. Maybe someone else has some other ideas???

That makes sense. I will discontinue feeding it to them for now and keep monitoring the levels. What does anyone think about the algae?

So here are my current levels. Keep in mind I did a very large water change this morning

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: About 1 ppm
Nitrate: About 30 ppm (This test could be wrong, I think I put too many drops in)

Where is my bacteria?!!

I would be a bit concerned about your nitrite levels. If you can do another wc to get them lower, your fish would appreciate it! I honestly dont know whats going on with your bb because your tanks are cycled. I really would test your water source-you might be surprised at the results. I was getting some screwy readings the last 2 weeks & couldnt figure out what was going on. I checked my tap water (i havent done this in mths!) and that was the answer!

Back
Top Bottom