Royal Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColBen112

Aquarium Advice Activist
1. Just got the fish 5 days ago yes did fresh water dip
2. Just another firefish snails and Decorator Crab and newly added peppermint shrimp 2
3. eating Brine srimp plus flakes
4.Nitrate 20
nitrite 0
buffer240
ph 8.4
No ammonia test strip
5. Royal Gramma/ was hiding for a day then 4 hours after i added the peppermint he came out and looked like he was swimming delusional up side down and what so i transfered him to my QT and sadly thats where he died he had one last burt of energy he swam really quickly in a tight circle pattern then stopped. My fire fish has a beat up fin but i think it was just from the royal picking on him.
6. Have live rock About ten pounds lfs is out of it they get some this week getting more got live sand 46 gallon bow front a aqua-tech 30-60 filter
Thats about it i have no clue what went wrong he just died Please help if you can i know not haveing a ammonia test kinda sucks but i didnt have it on hand. Also got a small break out of Aiptasia anemone thats why i got the peppermint shrimp

Last edited:
What was the reasoning behind the fw dip? Did the temp of the fw and pH of the fw match that of your tank?

I would not have done the FW dip. The stress of that and then acclimating to the tank was just too much. I dont suggest FW dips for anything. I`ve seen many a fish not survive the FW dip and never seen one that did make it. Next time IMO skip the FW dip and you`ll have a much better chance.

I was recommened by a friend to fresh water dip the fish i dont know why but i will never do it again Do you think it was just the stress cause he was fine for the first couple days then all of a sudden just started freaking out Also i moved his rock that he always hide in he wasnt in it when i moved it Maybe that to or no

I don't think you tank is cycled. Did you cycle it? You can not just add more liverock because it will cause the tank to cycle again, you will have to cure it in a separate tank. Nitrates at 20 is too high and probably killed your fish.

If the fw didn't match the temp and pH of your tank, the stress definitely could have caused it's death.

If the new live rock you are getting is "cured', you can add it right to your tank. If it's "uncured', you must cure it in a seperate tank or bin. The die-off from uncured live rock can cause your tank to cycle again.

Also, nitrate at 20 will not kill any fish or coral. There have been test done showing some fish can easily survive nitrates up to 300....even tho that's something you probably don't want to try in your system. ;)

So my lfs is getting live rock in if i get some and it is cured its good to go in if not dont put it in also i though my tank was cyled i let it run for 2 weeks with just rock and sand i did the dip stick checked my levels and they looked good so i thought it cycled how will i know when it is ready

Back
Top Bottom