Rubber Lipped Pleco Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
So... i got my first rubber lipped pleco about a week ago, and ive seen it 5 times since. It is really small right now, so i figured i would put it in my 10g planted tank for the time being until i get my 55 changed over to a planted tank... So basically, my question is, is it normal for them to lay upside down under stuff all the time? Every time i have seen this dude, he is under the driftwood upside down sucking on it (im assuming)... he has cleaned all the algea off the back glass, unless the snails just started doing it when i put him in the tank. Just making sure nothing is wrong...all the water params are perfect and it is a very heavily planted tank. Btw, what do you guys feed yours? It wont touch algae wafers

thanks

It is very normal for them to lay up side down. I had one that never came out and we would see him about once a month. They eat driftwood. They dont stop with algae.

Yeah, the hanging out upside down on stuff is very normal.
You can feed him blanched zucchini, cucumbers, Nori, and try spirulina pellets.
He will probably eventually get around to eating the algae wafers though; there is probably still some algae in the tank you just can't see keeping him satisfied. Especially on the driftwood. If you try anything else, i highly recommend Nori. All of my omnivores love that stuff.

great... i kind of figured it was normal as that was the first thing it did when i put it in, just wanted to make sure. So i guess that explains the "unexplained wood shavings" in my tank lol. Ill have to try the veggies... thanks guys

Those "unexplained wood shavings" are going to get bigger and bigger. They love that wood. Good thing those guys dont get too big.

Back
Top Bottom