Rubbermaid pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessiNoel21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to put a pond in my yard and I was wondering if a Rubbermaid container would work. I would make a DIY bio filter out of polyfil,bio balls,and carbon in a gallon jug hooked up to air pump. I would put 2 goldfish with a lot if plants. Just trying to figure out what size to get and where to get it.

I never thought of that would it be deep enough my summers can get to 110F and it will be in a semi shaded area so some of it will get sun.

I did not take those temps into account, the pool I was thinking about is only 8-10" deep, you can buy some pretty big Rubbermaid containers, you could also search craigslist got some oddball water storage containers??? Get a big one and have it cut in half??

I was looking yesterday and found a site that shows how to set up a snap set kiddie pool with a lot of water lilies and surface plants. Plus I can move it to the fun of the house where it would only get 4 hours of full sun and that way I can hook up my old chiller to keep the water temp at 68-72F. It was on a 280 gallon tank so 180 should be fine :). Or I can still set up in the back and create more shade to keep it cooler.

I can not imagine Massachusetts weather possibly reaching 110f. I live in southern PA and our temps rarely ever reach these levels and MA is quite a ways north.

I think it's great that your taking the time to ask questions and plans set forth to consider running a chiller if necessary! I do have a few questions though. What have you considered for filtration? What are your plans when September-October rolls around?

Just a suggestion on kiddie pool ideas- the 'quickset' type are not worth it. They rip, tear and fall apart very quickly. Opt for rigid plastic-type pools or consider a stock tank. I use both and they are considerably less expensive than something comparable in glass or acrylic. :)

Filtration will be a DIY 5 gallon bucket with bio balls,poly fill, filter floss, and carbon bag. It was 110F for three weeks last year. In the cold months they will go into my friends 60,000 gallon pond.

I know this sounds dumb but what is a stock tank and where can I find one lol

The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask! :)

If you google Tractor Supply or Agway (you may have both in your area) or any other type of farm supply store, you should find listings for stock tanks (or livestock troughs). They are the big water containers for supplying water for livestock. They come in all sorts of sizes (50g on up) and are made of either galvanized steel or hard plastic. They are meant to withstand all weather conditions but the steel ones do eventually start to rust. There are quite a few people that make ponds out of them. You may even find them used on Craigslist or a similar site quite cheaply. Hope this helps!

The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask! :)

If you google Tractor Supply or Agway (you may have both in your area) or any other type of farm supply store, you should find listings for stock tanks (or livestock troughs). They are the big water containers for supplying water for livestock. They come in all sorts of sizes (50g on up) and are made of either galvanized steel or hard plastic. They are meant to withstand all weather conditions but the steel ones do eventually start to rust. There are quite a few people that make ponds out of them. You may even find them used on Craigslist or a similar site quite cheaply. Hope this helps!

I am a complete blonde lol I call them water troughs not stock tanks. I have a place an hour away so I will go there this weekend and look.

I dont know about MA but here ousidr Chicago, great blue heron and egrets love to snack in koi ponds.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do not use Rubbermaid bins from Walmart/target/department stores that are not designed to permanently hold water. They will crack and leak after a year or two. Learn from my mistake. Find a Rubbermaid that is designed to hold water permanently. They cost more for that reason.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom