rummynose tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alLexX

Aquarium Advice Addict
couple questions bout em, would they do alright in a 20? would the be compatible with: 1 paradise fish,1 swordtail,and 3 yoyo loaches(been warned they could be aggressive,if they try anything they go to the 55 where they wont pick on anyone a second time). someone sugested these for my 20,and i read they could be skittish. thats alright,because i want a schooling fish that you know,SCHOOLS

Rummynose Tetra can be a bit.... sensitive for my taste. Harlequin rasboras are tough and pretty good schoolers in my experience.

A 20g might be a bit small for Rummies, as they are pretty active swimmers and would like more space to frolic.

Rummynose Tetra can be a bit.... sensitive for my taste. Harlequin rasboras are tough and pretty good schoolers in my experience.

A 20g might be a bit small for Rummies, as they are pretty active swimmers and would like more space to frolic.
ok,thanks for your help :)

edit: any other ideas on what i could get? would cherry barbs work?

Cherry barbs could work, probably about 6...maybe lol. I really like the harlequin rasbora idea. I have a school of my own and they are fun to watch. It's also really funny to watch a male and a female court each other lol.

If it's a 20gal long I'd say your fine with rummy's, but they are very sensitive fish as mentioned. Be prepared for die-off as much as a week after you introduce them. If they make it two weeks and see good red colors you'll be treated to striking looking active fish.

H. Rasboras, blood-fin tetras and cherry barbs make hearty alternatives to rummy's.

i dont think i can get harlequin rasboras around here. im gonna google em though in case they're just labeled wrong

edit: just rememberd,i think petsmart has them,but they dont look that nice to me

That's because petsmart barely feeds frozen, so they are pale in color. I got my rasboras from petsmart and started feeding them bloodworms and they turned thick and orangey red in color, they are gorgeous! Love them! Great fish and fun to watch!

Smcoyle87 said:
That's because Petsmart routinely kills fish. Lol

That depends on the store and its employees.
My store took excellent care of the fish when I was there.

I fed frozen to any fish that looked thin or stressed.

Rummynose are Sensitive. Doesn't matter what store you buy at. If the fish are in bad shape skip it, but sometimes it is what gets sent.

One week we got a bad batch of Cardinals. It happens. All I could do was warn people not to buy them. And tried to save them. We later changed suppliers.

Ex Petsmart employee

And why would dead fish be funny ???

Back on topic...
Here is some insight from people who own Rummynose http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myfish/44-Rummynose_Tetra_Hemigrammus_bleheri.html

I just thought I'd share my horrid luck with rummies. All acclimated well and were super red, theyre really cool. Then they slowly dropped one by one each day, sometimes two. I now am left with two, one with a weird white numb on his head that I cannot diagnose and another. It's not a water quality issue because I keep rams in the same tank, no problems.

Theyre super super super sensitive! I don't recommend them.

George9 said:
I just thought I'd share my horrid luck with rummies. All acclimated well and were super red, theyre really cool. Then they slowly dropped one by one each day, sometimes two. I now am left with two, one with a weird white numb on his head that I cannot diagnose and another. It's not a water quality issue because I keep rams in the same tank, no problems.

Theyre super super super sensitive! I don't recommend them.

Same thing happened to me. I just wish someone would have warned me before I spent my money on them. I'm left with 2 and I they are just going to have to play with the neons.

thanks for everybodies replies,and that sucks how sensitive they are. i decided to get cherry barbs instead,they look great

I think with rummynoses it all comes down to wild caught or breeding. I've had my rummynoses almost a year now and I've had know problems with mine. I've had more problems with neons to be honest with you. I wish I could breed my own rummynoses but I can only imagine the headache. Enjoy your neons though! Get a big enough school and I'm sure they'll shoal nicely

Back
Top Bottom