russ nano reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Came home from having dinner at a friends last night and found my peppermint shrimp dead! I immediately tested the water. Ammonia was just scraping 0.25 nitrate 0 nitrite 0. Would this of been enough to kill him or would that have built up since he died he could of been dead for up to 27 hours. :-(

Wait did you have a pistol shrimp ad a peppermint shrimp in the same tank? I have heard that pistol shrimp can become agressive and kill other shrimp in tanks. Sorry i only read the last page of your thread, so forgive me if i am wrong

Nu nu your not wrong i have a (small) randalls pistol shrimp and a peppermint shrimp. I have never heard of this and assumed if there were any aggression it would come from the peppermint shrimp as he's about three times the size??

Russ_gibbo1985 said:
Nu nu your not wrong i have a (small) randalls pistol shrimp and a peppermint shrimp. I have never heard of this and assumed if there were any aggression it would come from the peppermint shrimp as he's about three times the size??

Okay i think this must be the reason that you lost your shrimp :( im pretty sure that a small ammonia spike wouldnt hurt him too badly. I cant be 100% sure the pistol killed the peppermint though because if its way smaller then the other it could have been the oter way around. Im not posative but that would be by best guess...

Does tour pistol have a relationship with one if your gobies?

I thought so in the first place but they have seperate caves so id say no. I have boxer crabs, (pom pom) could they have stung him??

Ohh you have pom pom crabs! Okay then its probably possible thats why would peppermint shrimp died. What is your stock and what do you have on the sand bed?

Tbh thinking about it there wasn't reeeally much meat to the shrimp, do they not shed shells? I've heard they go into hiding after doing this. Have you heard of this? I have 2x firefish 2x 1x yasha goby. 2x red leg hermits. 4x pom pom crabs. 1x peppermint shrimp.

It is possible your shrimp molted and is in hiding. Some shrimp and crabs die during molts.

Doh! Knew i would miss some thing! Yes i have a randalls pistol shrimp too. Ill keep an eye out for him now i think about it it did look like a molt.

Doh! Knew i would miss some thing! Yes i have a randalls pistol shrimp too. Ill keep an eye out for him now i think about it it did look like a molt.

Russ_gibbo1985 said:

Haha ya i thought so! Anyways, ya that seems like a good plan. Hopefully it was just him molting... If not its the crab, or pistol shrimps fault

Yeesssss! He's alive just fed the tank and popped out and stole a big chunk of flake! :)

Im sure the pistol is too small to hurt him and i think and the pom pom crabs too slow. i understood before adding it they should be compatible, im just pretty panicky as this is my first sw experience lol!

Unfortunately ive had to return the peppermint shrimp to the shop as he's destroyed my feather duster cluster and im not very impressed.
On the brighter side I picked up some nice new corals.
Some purple flowering xenia, some really nice green mushrooms and a toadstool. Also the lfs owner threw in 3 mushroom heads that had fallen off of other mushroom stones including a gorgeous riccordia head.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111221_072136.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111221_072136.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 111
  • ForumRunner_20111221_072228.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111221_072228.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 114
  • banner.jpg
    banner.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 104
  • ForumRunner_20111221_072504.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111221_072504.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 114
  • ForumRunner_20111221_074305.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111221_074305.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 115
  • ForumRunner_20111221_074355.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111221_074355.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 112
  • ForumRunner_20111221_074458.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111221_074458.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 134
Grrrrrvi have rustworms EVERYWHERE
does anyone know of anything that eats them at all?

Ill take some more pics this evening mj after i have been and collected some new arrivals from my lfs! :)

Back
Top Bottom