Rust looking corrosion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
All
I battled green carpet algea and slime for about 2 years and finally beat it! I kept scrubbing it each week and finally won. However now Im struggling with red slime. Not to bad, but just keeps forming on my rocks. Also I keep noticing on like my intake screens of my pumps it turn a rust looking color. Im running phosban and have been for some 1-1.5 years. I dont ever turn the phosban reactor all the way up but Im wondering if this might be what this is? My corals and fish are all well. I also notice in my trash can that I mix RODI water in with my salt that the side of the trashcan is rusty looking as well. I have done no pump work and after each water change I rinse the trash can out. Any ideas? I dont run carbon and all I add is CA and AK each night. Tank has been up and running for 4 years. Also I notice on the LR there is what appears to be dirt like looking stuff that flows in the current. When I scrub on it with a toothbrush it comes off easily. Very odd stuff. Bacteria maybe?

Also I keep noticing on like my intake screens of my pumps it turn a rust looking color. Im running phosban... Im wondering if this might be what this is?
Does it blow/rinse off easily? If not I would suspect diatoms or some other type of algae. Many times diatoms are a sign of high silicate. The fact you have red slime makes me think you might have elevated PO4 levels present as well. Do you use RO/DI water? If so what is the TDS? Can you list your water parameters -SG, Ph, Ca, Alk, Temp, ammo, nitrite, nitrate, PO4?
High PO4 and/or Silicate levels in your source water may explain the rusty algae growth in the SW mixing can as well.

I use RODI and even have a 2nd cannister I run through for PO4. Plus I use a P04 reactor on my tank. I dont know how I could have ANY P04. I dont have a test kit but will get the LFS to do so. I keep my SG at 1.022 or 1.021. PH is around 8.0-8.2 Temp at 79-80. No ammonia trites and less than 5 trates. I just ordered some new phosban to run in my tank. I havent changed it in like 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom