Ryan's Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyanRan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys! I have been inspired by Bill's 12 Gallon Long tank to create my own! I'm excited to have a tank that I can now effectively grow some great plants in! I have been reading many threads on AA, but I have one question for you guys before I start. I absolutely love the "Long" tank design, such as Bill's, but I was thinking of something a little bit bigger, as my counter space is quite large. I don't want something too big, but I was looking along the lines of his tanks design. Do you guys know of any places for me to look? I live in Canada FYI.

P.S.
This may, or may not be a long process, as I'm pretty busy with school right now. I will always keep this thread updated, however frequently it is.

Well, the 12 gallon long is 36" long, which is the same length as other tanks such as 40 gallon breeders. The next step up would probably be 48" tanks, such as 55s and 75s.

As far as I know, the 12 gallon long is really the longest tank for its gallons, so I'm not sure if you'd be able to get a longer tank with the same width. Once you get into the longer tanks, they become substantially wider.

Well, thanks for the tips anyway. I think I'm going with the 12 gallon long because it is a very manageable size, and still looks great!

It means a lot that you are following Dan! I have been following you and Bill (quite quietly) and I am simply amazed by your two tanks! I'm probably ordering the 12 Gallon Long with a Finnex Ray 2 in the next few days. I am wondering whether I need the 24 or 30 inch Ray 2 though? I was planning on getting the dual 7000k.

It means a lot that you are following Dan! I have been following you and Bill (quite quietly) and I am simply amazed by your two tanks! I'm probably ordering the 12 Gallon Long with a Finnex Ray 2 in the next few days. I am wondering whether I need the 24 or 30 inch Ray 2 though? I was planning on getting the dual 7000k.

Well the tank is 36" long so I doubt a 24" light fixture would work :lol: you know, they make the ray 2 in size 36" too

The other problem I might have is the fact that I need to get this Ray 2 to Canada... Any suggestions on places to buy it from?

I wonder if a Big Al's might carry it? If not Marine Depot may ship them to you.

I will be following, I am also going to get a 12L in the next month, making a brackish Bumble Bee Gobie tank!

I tried Amazon, No Go. Ebay.ca does not have the light. Also read that Marine Depot will not ship lights and tanks to Canada! Oh my god... Big Al's does not have Finnex Products. Not sure what to do.. Might have to get it shipped to someone in the states who could send it to me.

I tried Amazon, No Go. Ebay.ca does not have the light. Also read that Marine Depot will not ship lights and tanks to Canada! Oh my god... Big Al's does not have Finnex Products. Not sure what to do.. Might have to get it shipped to someone in the states who could send it to me.

Lol, I would send it to you, not sure how much it costs, but I'm in South Carolina so that is pretty far from the border so it would cost more...someone in the northern states?

I think I have family in Michigan who could send it to me. We'll see. This may postpone the process...

Hey! So I was looking on the Aquarium Mega Store Website, and found this: http://www.aquariummegastore.com/products/truvu-26-gallon-long-rectangular-acrylic-aquarium-36x10x16
It's the same length as the 12 Gallon long, just a little taller. Nicer for my counter and better for tall-growing plants. The only things I'm wondering, are what is on the back of the tank? Is that just a backdrop or is there actually something attached? I'm also hoping that I can take the hood and top cover off to use a finnex ray 2.

Hey! So I was looking on the Aquarium Mega Store Website, and found this: http://www.aquariummegastore.com/products/truvu-26-gallon-long-rectangular-acrylic-aquarium-36x10x16
It's the same length as the 12 Gallon long, just a little taller. Nicer for my counter and better for tall-growing plants. The only things I'm wondering, are what is on the back of the tank? Is that just a backdrop or is there actually something attached? I'm also hoping that I can take the hood and top cover off to use a finnex ray 2.

Another great build thread?

Count me in :)

The problem with that tank, I feel, is that it seems to have a non-open top? Like it looks as though there is only a slit available for you to work with. Having restricted movements and delicate positioning of plants/substrate don't always mix. Maybe I missed something though.

After looking into it more, I see that the hood is not included (which I do not need) and the lid comes off I'm pretty sure of. I can also order the back clear, so I think whatever that blue colour is, is not a problem. Any suggestions, or comments on this tank? I haven't even checked if it ships to Canada yet, or how much shipping will cost :eek:

At this time they do not ship outside of the U.S........ Crap. I don't know what to do. Canada is really restricting me right now.

I have reached out to some custom aquarium manufacturers in the Ontario area. I guess we'll see how much they quote me. While I'm waiting on them, I was wondering what kind of substrate I should use... I have been hearing a lot about Eco-Complete and Aqua Soil but I'm not sure what I should use. Any suggestions? I've heard dirted tanks can be really great, but I don't think I want to put in that kind of effort. It just seems messy.

I have reached out to some custom aquarium manufacturers in the Ontario area. I guess we'll see how much they quote me. While I'm waiting on them, I was wondering what kind of substrate I should use... I have been hearing a lot about Eco-Complete and Aqua Soil but I'm not sure what I should use. Any suggestions? I've heard dirted tanks can be really great, but I don't think I want to put in that kind of effort. It just seems messy.

I use Eco-Complete and AquaSoil in some of my tanks, as well as Fluval Stratum in my 60g. I love all of them, the AquaSoil has the most nutrients and is probably the best you can buy, but it's an ADA product so you know what that means lol $$$$. The Eco is also very good, and the majority uses it. It holds the plants down well and has a "gravel" look to it...I like it. The stratum grows my plants awesome for me, but it's so lightweight and messy!

Back
Top Bottom