Ryukin question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 2-3" ryukin and was wondering when it will gets its 'hump'. Or is possible that they cannot grow a hump an just be fantail goldfish?

image-3629008701.jpg

Heres a pic of her.

Well saying your parameters are 'fine' doesnt mean very much. Can you provide more exact numbers in addition to your water change schedule? Do you know what is in this food and its nutritional breakdown (namely protein & fat levels)? By 6-12mths, she should started hump development. Lack of sufficient wcs leading to hormonal inhibition, excess nitrate levels and insufficient protien/fat in the diet are all factors behind lack of hump development. Are the wens on your orandas growing well? Does the ryukin get her share of food? We need to do some detective work here to figure out what the reason behind this is so lots of questions! :)

Well saying your parameters are 'fine' doesnt mean very much. Can you provide more exact numbers in addition to your water change schedule? Do you know what is in this food and its nutritional breakdown (namely protein & fat levels)? By 6-12mths, she should started hump development. Lack of sufficient wcs leading to hormonal inhibition, excess nitrate levels and insufficient protien/fat in the diet are all factors behind lack of hump development. Are the wens on your orandas growing well? Does the ryukin get her share of food? We need to do some detective work here to figure out what the reason behind this is so lots of questions! :)

I actually dont know the excact nutrition of the food but by the looks of their goldfish it seems to be high in protein. And the wends are growing just fine. My baby orandas wen is just coming in:). And she gets most ofthe food shes the pig of the tank haha.

I would spend some time watching your ryukin at mealtime and see exactly how much food she is getting in comparison to the others. Hump development is dependent upon having enough excess fat/protein/calories to store, similar to wen development. If they are not getting sufficient amount, food resources are prioritized towards physical necessities of life rather than expending it on superfluous development. I am not saying you are starving her by any means here, just she may need some extra at mealtime without everyone else stealing it or getting the majority of the food. You can even try hand feeding her some extra protein such as bloodworms or bits of seafood/fish so you know she's getting bit extra. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom