Sad little betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The other day I was cleaning my tanks and I moved my betta to my 20g to see how the other fish would react to him. They all seemed to welcome his arrival pretty well so I decided I'd get a betta for the 20 to stay percentile.

I went and got him today and decided to go with a red one to contrast the blue gourami.

I put his container in and the gourami being the curious one he is was the first one to check it out. The betta flared a little but stopped after 5 seconds. After I let him out of the container the gourami came back to greet him with no flaring. The betta now sits in the exact same spot as where the cup was. I can't tell if he likes the spot or isn't used to moving yet.

Felt kind of sorry for the one beside him one I got picked him. It was a pale white with a black and blue head. He laid on the bottom of the cup almost like he was dead and started moving around when I picked up mine. It was sad to see. I'm debating setting up my 5g and going and getting him As well...

Keep calm and drum on

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually it is the one when you think again if you want to buy him or not.

I mean I love bettas and everything about them from there beautiful finnage to the way they always look pissed. Maybe that's why I have 3 betta tanks soon to be 4 if my one female doesn't stop nipping the others fins

Keep calm and drum on

I mean I love bettas and everything about them from there beautiful finnage to the way they always look pissed. Maybe that's why I have 3 betta tanks soon to be 4 if my one female doesn't stop nipping the others fins

Keep calm and drum on

Lol - yeah, butter wouldn't melt in their mouths. I'm enjoying having a betta again. He looks like he is having fun. More fun than in a cup anyways.

first night and he's already found a bed with the gourami ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431402192.877300.jpg a male betta and a female gourami won't try to procreact will they?

Keep calm and drum on

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431402112.236557.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431402112.236557.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 83
Lots of times bettas and gouramis don't get along. Watch them carefully. Things could change after the betta gets settled in and comfortable. One or the other could become aggressive and injure or kill the other. A betta and a gourami are not the best choice to keep together.

True the above statement! You never know. Also sometimes they are just chill and there are no problems. Sometimes though they can go crazy after having everything peaceful for months.

As for the second little guy in the cup. It is like going to the pound to adoupt a puppy. They mostly want to go home with you!

Just let him pick You. If that is what happened then seriously consider it. Likely to be seriously suffering illness if it looked that lethargic, if the store doesn't do cup clean outs soon, also could have gone home with someone else.

Recently someone here had an issue with Betta added to community tank with out QT, which was ill and the fish likely had Columnaris which killed many if not all of hte fish.

Please consider using QT anytime you get new fish. Even if the QT is a $5. plastic tote with a spare heater and air bubbler.

I have had new fish kill half my tank off- Cause Columnaris and no QT). "Hope" to you - from my, as well as others, bad experiences, and that the Red Betta does great with his new friends and in your decision.

I wouldn't waste any time, decide and get him asap if that is what you want to do, the longer you wait the more likely he will have serious medical issues from poor conditions in the cups. Know though, that everytime you go by those rows of fish you will see one asking to go home with you. -----And there are a lot of months and years ahead to pick more fish. Best of luck and wise decisions to you.

True the above statement! You never know. Also sometimes they are just chill and there are no problems. Sometimes though they can go crazy after having everything peaceful for months.

As for the second little guy in the cup. It is like going to the pound to adoupt a puppy. They mostly want to go home with you!

Just let him pick You. If that is what happened then seriously consider it. Likely to be seriously suffering illness if it looked that lethargic, if the store doesn't do cup clean outs soon, also could have gone home with someone else.

Recently someone here had an issue with Betta added to community tank with out QT, which was ill and the fish likely had Columnaris which killed many if not all of hte fish.

Please consider using QT anytime you get new fish. Even if the QT is a $5. plastic tote with a spare heater and air bubbler.

I have had new fish kill half my tank off- Cause Columnaris and no QT). "Hope" to you - from my, as well as others, bad experiences, and that the Red Betta does great with his new friends and in your decision.

I wouldn't waste any time, decide and get him asap if that is what you want to do, the longer you wait the more likely he will have serious medical issues from poor conditions in the cups. Know though, that everytime you go by those rows of fish you will see one asking to go home with you. -----And there are a lot of months and years ahead to pick more fish. Best of luck and wise decisions to you.

Will start using a QT I have a 2.5 with a heater and filter just need to get it running. I don't see any problems occurring between the two the betta seem super chill, when I first brought him home I set his cup in my other betta tank to see him flare and he just sat there not doing anything. I thought maybe he couldn't see the other betta so I put him in a clean jar and he still didn't flare at the betta.the two seem to like hanging around each other and there are hiding spots the betta can't get to but the gourami can

Keep calm and drum on

Your red guy looks like mine :D I'm planning on getting more bettas! I have 3 empty tanks and want to breed!

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta and Ember Tetras

Back
Top Bottom