Sad week, but new 15 gallon column build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today is water change day!!! Took a little extra time and cleaned the hair algae off the mechanical stuff it was living on..... In my few years of reef keeping I have NEVER had to deal with hair algae!! Could it be because I have always kept turbo snails and now I don't? If so, should I maybe add one?

Also..... Now that I'm down to the 1 small clown, should I add something else? Or just leave it like it is?

You can definitely add another fish, possibly 2 depending on what you choose. The only problem you may have is aggression from the clown, but if you add the fish with lights out and leave them out for as long as you can ( when I add a fish to a system with my clowns I try and do it as late in the day as possible and I'll modify my light schedule for that day so that the lights go off for the day when I start the acclimation). As for the gha just keep at it and do some extra wc's to get the excess nutrients out and you'll get a handle on it.

You can definitely add another fish, possibly 2 depending on what you choose. The only problem you may have is aggression from the clown, but if you add the fish with lights out and leave them out for as long as you can ( when I add a fish to a system with my clowns I try and do it as late in the day as possible and I'll modify my light schedule for that day so that the lights go off for the day when I start the acclimation). As for the gha just keep at it and do some extra wc's to get the excess nutrients out and you'll get a handle on it.

What fish would u suggest? I really would like something that would stay out and not hide all the time....

I love the long nose. I might get one :)

No long nose, they get to big for either of your tanks and will eat your inverts. How about a Swiss guard basslet and a blenny or goby, one that tends to hang out on the sand bed would be best

No I wouldn't put a hawk in anything smaller than a 20 long bare minimum. Hawks can be pretty aggressive and the smaller the tank the more likely that aggression is.

I think I'm gonna stay away from hawk fish...... What about a scooter Blenny? He would eat up the pods all over everything!!

Scooters can be tough to get to eat as there main diet is pods. They can wipe a population out in a few days in smaller tanks

I have so many it looks like the tank has lice!!! Will they die out on their own if I don't add something to eat them?

Ya there population will self regulate, and any fish you add will pick at them, especially if they don't eat right away for you. Pods are a good sign, and great to have in the tank IMO

A red hi fin banded goby would be great, and they look kind if similar to red scooters

Today I have added a sea slug (borrowed from my brother) to try to knock down the hair algae.....ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394735404.499227.jpg
Man that thing is ugly!! Do they sting? He looks to have a bunch of little spines on him! I didn't touch him, just kinda dumped him in :/..... Too creepy for me! Then I moved a few rocks and did a water change.... Still haven't found anyone to take the sponge, but it seems to be hanging in there nicely..... No signs of dying..... Also added 2 turbo snails, but my hermit ate one....

Here is a pic of the hair algae.... Hopefully in a few days it will be gone and I can have a nice clean tank pic for u guys!!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394735640.377120.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394735668.373538.jpg

Back
Top Bottom