SAE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought two Siamese Algae Eaters a few years ago. They are 3-4" long. I've read that as SAEs get larger their diet becomes various and they eat less and less algae. They have been eating flake food for a while now. Not that I look for it, but I can't recall the last time I saw one of the guys cleaning the glass. Wondering if it's time for these guys to move on and bring in more stock. I just added 4 ottos, but would like the ottos to have some additional help.

From what I understand, this isn't the case with Siamese Algae Eaters, crossocheilus siamensis. It is the case however with the Chinese Algae Eater, gyrinocheilus aymonieri (usually but sometimes they're actually gyrinocheilus kaznakovi).

Note that there are also many species that are sold as "Siamese Algae Eaters" but in fact they are NOT crossocheilus siamensis. Look for a zig-zag pattern on the edges of the black horizontal stripe down the fish's center, and that the stripe extends all the way to the fork of the tail. At rest crossocheilus siamensis will sit on its fins.

As to the differing species, there is the False Siamese Algae Eater, epalzeorhynchus sp. (some believe it to actually be the Siamese Stone Lapper, garra taeniata), which also does not prefer algae. They have smooth edges on their black stripes and they do not extend through the tail. There is also the Flying Fox, epalzeorhynchus kalopterus (not to be confused with the Siamese Flying Fox, which is another common name for the true crossocheilus siamensis Siamese Algae Eater). These have smooth edges on their black stripes and very dark tops, sometimes almost looking like another stripe. Another species is crossocheilus oblongus which is closely related to the true SAE and is also usually found schooling with them in the wild, but this also has a smooth edge on the black stripe and it doesn't extend into the tail, and again, doesn't prefer algae as its main diet.

If your SAE looks like this it's the real deal:

sae.jpg

If it looks like one of these, it's not a true algae eating crossocheilus siamensis Siamese Algae Eater:

false_sae.jpg

fox.jpg

I credit this information and the pics to a link I don't have anymore.

That isn't the link I remembered (why can't I find it on google) so the page I saved this info from had taken these pics from that Finnish site. Thanks for the link back to the original artist! :)

The URL that you might be thinking of is http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html from which I quote

They also eat algae when they are mature, but seem to prefer flake food.

It is a somewhat confusing fish to identify and until I read the above page a couple years ago, I didn't even know what as SAE was. I am certain I have SAEs in the tank. It does appear that SAEs are suppose to keep eating algae. I'll have to let them know that.

Incidentally, the neice has 'SAEs' in her tank which are really the False SAEs. I explained to her how to tell the difference.

Back
Top Bottom