Safe to add clown fish to sandy water? Will they die in the bag from lfs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SneezingTetra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just set up a new 10 gal nano FOWLR rank. I have 4 lbs of cured Fiji rock and 50/50 8lbs of live sand and new aquarium sand. The water is still pretty cloudy after adding the water.

I have had the 2 clownfish in the bag since 6:30pm. It is now 10pm!! I opened the bag up for oxygen. They seems fine kinda swimming around now in the baggy. Can i add them anytime soon??? Thank so much!

As someome who wants clowns myself, my research has led me to believe 10gallons is not a big enough tank for two clowns. Also cycling your tank with fish in is considerably more work than a fishless cycle. Just google cycling a tank with fish. I would post a link but my internet says its not connected, yet i can use my apps, weird.

Also it your fish will be better off in you running tank than the bag.

kurtyboh

Please return the fish and consider using a fishless cycling method. If you cycle with the fish, chances are they will die from ammonia poisoning and you will have wasted your money.

If your rock was cured and if you setup the tank within the last day or 2 then your tank is most probably cycled. That's what live rock is. The sand storm won't bother them. Put em in. Test the water frequently for amm and nitrite but it's likely your good to go.

Don't add any more fish for awhile.

If your rock was cured and if you setup the tank within the last day or 2 then your tank is most probably cycled. That's what live rock is. The sand storm won't bother them. Put em in. Test the water frequently for amm and nitrite but it's likely your good to go.

Don't add any more fish for awhile.

Dont do this until you have tested the water.if amm and trite is zero then maybe but In my opinion take the fish back and cycle your tank fishless plus 10g is too small for 2 clowns

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5ppm, specific gravity 1.023, temp 78
Tank is cycled, rock was already fully cured. Clowns are healthy and eating. In a 10 gallon I can have 2 small/medium clowns and 2 other small fish.

Everything i've read says ten gal for one clown as they're messy eaters. So two clowns and two other fish seems quite packed. As i stated before my knowledge is limited to the research ive done so maybe someone else wants ro chime in on it.

kurtyboh

I wouldn't go beyond the 2 clowns either... grab some nice inverts and some coral eventually.

There's no such thing as a small/medium clown. They all grow (given they don't die) into large clowns. And it doesn't take all that long.

You'll have your hands full w/ the 2 clowns shortly

Lotsa cool stuff to put in there to make it rocking.

Thanks CamptainAhab and Kurtyboh! Yeah your right, they are gonna grow and anymore will be too big for the tank. Could i get a bottom feeder like a spotted yellow goby, looks so cool the way they clean the sand! ha

How long do you think i should wait till i can add coral?

I'd like to add a long tentacle anemone for the clownfish, is this possible. What would i need extra to do this?

Current setup: 15 gal filter (hangs on top from petco), 4lbs cured live rock, 8lbs live sand. Heater and 25 watt incandescent light bulb.

An anenome should only be put into an established tank. i learned this the hard way. I just recently returned my condy. You need stellar lights and excellent water. It's also no guarantee your clowns will host it.

Gobies are really cute! I'm gonna go look for a watchman tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom