Salt Bath Numbers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanewbie72

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have read several places that recommended a "salt bath" or "dip" for fishes with dropsy. However, I'm having a really hard time finding an exact recipe... or at least any 2 that agree.
I've looked all over the Internet and seen everything from 1/8tsp to a gallon to 2tsps to 1Tablespoon...
and I've some sites say leave the fish in it for 3-5 minutes, and others say as much as 15-20 minutes.
And Frequency - some sites say do it once a day, others 3x day?

Does anyone have a method they have used with any amount of success that they could share? I've got a gourami I'm trying to save.

Also, after you remove the fish from the "dip"- if it worked will you see results instantly or does it take a while?

THANKS!

I am no expert on gourami, but what I know is that salt (that's common salt) is bad for dropsy. For dropsy, MgSO4 (epsoms salt) is suggested. Dosage is 1/4 tsp/ 10 gal. FAIK you leave the fish in that until it gets better ... (days?) ... rather than as a bath. You would also need to treat the underlying cause of the dropsy - which would involve antibiotics.

In goldies world <I have no expereince with gourami .... so take this with a grain of salt!>, salt baths are used to treat parasites, at anywhere from 1-3% (that would be 4-12g per gal or about up to 1 tablespoon per gal). If you suspect a parasitic infestation as the cause, that would be a reasonable thing to do. Length of treatment depends on your concentration of salt & the fish. At 3%, the fish may last only 30 seconds. You have to watch the fish closly & as soon as it shows signs of passing out, remove immediately to fresh clean water. At 1% you have more time - I have treat for up to 30 min with my golds (that's the max time suggested) .... but if the fish is weak you might have to remove sooner.

Salt dips will remove the surface parasite, and will often cause the fish to poop so will remove some internal stuff. In that sense it works immediately. But if you have ich or other that burrows into the fish, you would need to repeat the dips daily to get at the new crop until all is gone.

OOPS - I did mean epsom salt - I guess I typed too fast and didn't get that in.
I am also treating him with antibiotics but I kept reading about these "epsom salt dips" to help him with the bloating but couldn't find any good numbers.

Thank you again! I will give it a try....

Back
Top Bottom