salt just how much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanaut

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everybody

Im new to saltwater and have a 30 gal to set up. My question is how much salt for my tank.I friend set up a 25 gal and it is still cloudy from salt days later.He used Red Sea, is there any diff. Thanks in advance :)

first off, Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
How much salt really depends on the SG you intend to reach. How did your friend mix the SW? Are you sure it is not cloudy from the substrate? Most available salts desolve pretty readily, some better then others. Befor SW is added to a tank it should be premixed in a container with a heater and a powerhead for 24-48hrs. This will ensure that it is fully disolved. If you are new to this hobby your next purchase should be a good book. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner.

Thanks I ll get that book... He mixed his salt as a brine and added it to the tank of fresh water I think. Sand substrate, but it was clear until salt went in.

Could have stirred up the sand. Perhaps too much salt, do you know whta the SG is?

how much salt ?

Hi Lando

The Sg is 1.025 it has climbed a little in the past day, but is getting clearer. Should we drop the SG by adding fresh water ? It was at 1.022-3.Power heads have been running all along. Temp is at 80 F.

Back
Top Bottom