Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just wanted to share my experiences with salt. I started my tank last August with Red Sea Pro. I got it through the cycle with no issues and got off to a great start. At about the six month mark I decided to try Reef Crystals as it was slightly less expensive and many people had given it great reviews. Within a couple of weeks of switching my tank looked horrible. I had a massive outbreak of cyano and green hair algae. The source water is RO and tested fine for nitrates and phosphates both before and after mixing in the salt. I kept using the Reef Crystals until the 200 gallon quantity I had purchased was gone. I then switched back to Red Sea and after one 50% water change and a good scrubbing the tank is back to normal. I will note the fish and couple of beginner coral I have did just fine on the Reef Crystal.

I am inclined to think I may have just had a bad batch of salt as too many of you have had no issues with Reef Crystals. I just thought I would share my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can have a bad batch, but it's not common. I thought I had a bad batch of Red Sea Pro, but stuck with it, and now swear by it. I know that Reef Crystals are just as good though. You can switch brands without issue, so long as all your parameters are stable.

More than likely, your tank just went through the "uglies" that most new-ish tanks go through. Mine went through it, and then it went away. I know my new 40 will go through it as well...even though everything's at 0 that should be at 0. Nature finds a way...

More than likely, your tank just went through the "uglies" that most new-ish tanks go through. Mine went through it, and then it went away. I know my new 40 will go through it as well...even though everything's at 0 that should be at 0. Nature finds a way...

:agree:

at just under 6 months in a cyano outbreak sounds about right.
The way to deal with it is
reduce photoperiod
reduce feedings
water changes
siphoning it out
a good refugium/ATS (algae turf scrubber)

There are too many variables to account for to say it is due to the salt.

Now just pray to the aquarium gods that you don't get dinoflagellates, THOSE are a real pain in da butt!!!:banghead:

I was lucky and didn't have a cyano outbreak. I was super meticulous with my water changes and keeping my parameters in check. I did get green hair, but adding some red-legged hermits took care of that, along with a skimmer to get the water column cleared up.

It would also help you to run carbon and/or GFO (or PhosGuard) to reduce dissolved organics in the water.

Back
Top Bottom