Salts in African Cichlids water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seank0187

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I want to know if any of you put aquarium salts in your tank if not why? I know its used for treatment of different ailments. Some say its good for gill function and to enhance color to. We all know that all freshwater has a certain amount of salt content in it. Just want opinions.

African Cichlids are my drug

I've used it for treatment, but I don't use it regularly. I have discovered my Fryeri absolutely hates salt. Don't know why, but when ever there is salt he doesn't come out at all, and hardly eats.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Every water change in my 55 gallon based on "Rift Lake Recipe". Dissolved in water then added before refill.

1 tablespoon Epsom salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Plus 1/4 teaspoon seachem safe

Oh ok yeah I have two tanks. My lfs said that all all african rift lake cichlids need salt in my main tank i have mainly mbuna. They seem to not mind it i also have one male flavescent in there and he seems to be fine with it I actually cut the recommended dose in half. I have never used salt for my cichlids in all the years of being in the hobby so i took there advice and tried it just did a water change on both tanks yesterday but didn't add salt. Now my other tank which has only my ahli in it cause i got harassed by my peacock hes doing good but since i added salt before the water change he hides all the time i think it's from being beat up but idk. So should i just discontinue the use of salt then unless absolutely necessary?

I have never added any salt into my tanganyikan tank. I personally see it as pointless unless treating certain ailments

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok yeah I think I agree with that. I have never used it before as well till now and all my cichlids have thrived well. So I'll stick to what I have always done no salt.

Whether you choose to use it or not, it's best to keep your parameters consistent. Your cichlids can acclimate to a range but not to constantly changing ph, salinity, etc.

Yeah I know that. I keep both my tanks around the same parameters. I test my water consistently. I even bought a little Milwaukee ph/ppm reader pretty nifty. Little expensive but i thought it would be a good investment

Those salts really aren't needed for most fish. Certain fish have fairly specific requirements and in some situations it can be beneficial to try to replicate it but for the most part they really aren't needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom