Saltwater cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanWMearig29

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I currently have a 16 gallon bio cube that’s been running for 2 months now. I put fish food in it everyday in the morning, I do 2.5 gallon water changes once a week. My understanding of properly cycling an aquarium is when ammonia, nitrite and nitrates all raise then lower again and stay low for 8 consecutive days. Then your tank is cycled. For this tank my ammonia and nitrites have raised but for 2 months now my nitrates have read 0ppm. I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. Ammonia and nitrites have raised but not nitrates. Anybody have any ideas?

Is there anything swimming or crawling in the tank? If not throw a cocktail shrimp.in there and let it ride. No need to change water if theres nothing alive in there.

Is there anything swimming or crawling in the tank? If not throw a cocktail shrimp.in there and let it ride. No need to change water if theres nothing alive in there.

Hey thanks for the speedy response and no nothing alive in the tank. Temperature maintains 80F and salinity mostly stays at 1.021-1.023.

How long should I leave the shrimp in there ? Until ammonia goes up then remove the shrimp and continue water changes?

Back
Top Bottom