Saltwater Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrs.octavia.rollins

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just started up my 125 gallon tank two months ago.. From day one everything has been great! We had a freshwater tank that we decided to get rid of. The guy who bought it gave us cash but also gave us everything he had out of his saltwater tank as he didn't want it anymore. He gave us a flower pot coral, cleaner shrimp, clownfish, and a bubble tip anemone. The problem is the Clownfish is full grown and the anemone he hosts is so small I'm afraid he will kill it, although I haven't seen him host the anemone he actually hosts the flower pot. He will rub himself all over the flower pot and after he doe it , it all goes inside like he's stressing it or making it mad. Our Friend said he will kill the flower pot. I was wanting to get two clown fish but since this clown fish is the only one for five years (from what I was told) I don't want to buy another since he may kill it. I don't know if he will but maybe someone can help me make a decision. I already put him on Craigslist hoping someone will buy him along with a devil damsel we through in the sump when we got our new fish.

Also, this past Friday I went & bough two bigger anemones for the clownfish to start hosting it.. I also bought a Sailfin Tang & Blue Powdered Tang. They both went in the tank at the same time and they have become buddies. They swim together and follow each other. When I bought them they looked like they were in great shape! That night my Friend came over and said my Powder Blue Tang has ich. She has one little parasite (from what he can see but I can't). She eats like crazy and she is very active. I put seaweed with garlic on a veggie clip and she is eating it. So, should I go lights out for two days? Treat with copper?

I also have pictures on here that I just added as well..

I wouldn't sell the clown. If its full grown, it's a female. Just get a really small clown of the same type-it will be male- and they should pair up. The female will show dominance over him, and he'll do the shaking thing a little bit. But it should work out. You don't need to buy a pair at the same time.

Your coral will be fine clowns often host corals. My clown goby hosts a few different corals in my tank they close up when he sits on them and come out fine when he leaves

Shane0f said:
Your coral will be fine clowns often host corals. My clown goby hosts a few different corals in my tank they close up when he sits on them and come out fine when he leaves

Not true. Clowns have been known to kill corals that they host. Some corals are fine with it, like a few lps corals, but most are not fond of being constantly rubbed against.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Not true. Clowns have been known to kill corals that they host. Some corals are fine with it, like a few lps corals, but most are not fond of being constantly rubbed against.

Ah k I've never heard this. Always learning in this hobby I do know of clowns hosting gonipora corals ( flower pot) without dramas though

mrs.octavia.rollins said:
Just started up my 125 gallon tank two months ago.. From day one everything has been great! We had a freshwater tank that we decided to get rid of. The guy who bought it gave us cash but also gave us everything he had out of his saltwater tank as he didn't want it anymore. He gave us a flower pot coral, cleaner shrimp, clownfish, and a bubble tip anemone. The problem is the Clownfish is full grown and the anemone he hosts is so small I'm afraid he will kill it, although I haven't seen him host the anemone he actually hosts the flower pot. He will rub himself all over the flower pot and after he doe it , it all goes inside like he's stressing it or making it mad. Our Friend said he will kill the flower pot. I was wanting to get two clown fish but since this clown fish is the only one for five years (from what I was told) I don't want to buy another since he may kill it. I don't know if he will but maybe someone can help me make a decision. I already put him on Craigslist hoping someone will buy him along with a devil damsel we through in the sump when we got our new fish.

Also, this past Friday I went & bough two bigger anemones for the clownfish to start hosting it.. I also bought a Sailfin Tang & Blue Powdered Tang. They both went in the tank at the same time and they have become buddies. They swim together and follow each other. When I bought them they looked like they were in great shape! That night my Friend came over and said my Powder Blue Tang has ich. She has one little parasite (from what he can see but I can't). She eats like crazy and she is very active. I put seaweed with garlic on a veggie clip and she is eating it. So, should I go lights out for two days? Treat with copper?

I also have pictures on here that I just added as well..

Check your tangs REALLY WELL! Tangs are very prone to ich, lateral line erosion...they are beautiful fish but honestly, they are parasite magnets in captivity. Have you thought about a quarantine tank of some kind? It doesn't have to be fancy and you could even use a Rubbermaid tub with a cheap filter. Once you introduce a fish that has ich to your tank you will expose everything else to it and will most likely have issues with ich until you QT all the fish and let the tank sit fishless while the parasites life cycle exhausts itself. It takes quite a while. You can't add medication to your main tank as anything copper based will kill inverts. I really love this link just because its informative and you don't read through stuff you could care less about:

www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-care-health-disease-treatment/20321-marine-ich-myths-facts.html

I've learned the hard way years ago. I lost everything from adding one small fish...it seems like a pain to QT but much more so to QT everything and sit with an empty tank.

Back
Top Bottom