Salty Noobs "Not So Nano" 29g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im feeding rods reef food once a day, about a 1/4" chunk and I have an aquatic life 115 skimmer and hob filter with a pair of hydor 425s

i had the same skimmer before I switched it out. so you really need an upgrade on the skimmer if I were you.

i had the same skimmer before I switched it out. so you really need an upgrade on the skimmer if I were you.

What did you switch too? I've been eyeing a reef octopus and that was my original choice but I picked up this aquatic life from my lrs as a display model for $40 when I was buying all my sand and rock for this tank.

Cut back on feeding. You are running into the issue of not removing as much as you are putting in. Feed sparingly every other day. Siphon out the cyano and do larger and double up on water changes to bring the range back down.

In think I might ad a 3rd koralia 425 and maybe feed 3x a week now and i thought about sucking up the algae but I didn't think that would work I guess it does.

Cut back on feeding. You are running into the issue of not removing as much as you are putting in. Feed sparingly every other day. Siphon out the cyano and do larger and double up on water changes to bring the range back down.

+1 Its actually a bacteria not algae. Its gonna be a fun battle ive battled it before. Maybe too much food like hank said. A skimmer upgrade is always good too though.

Dang guys well im definitely gonna cut down on feedings, and fine tune my skimmer a little more.

As for lighting does it contribute to any of these problems? Im running about 10hrs a day, should a cut down?

Ok guys thanks for all the help, ill be sucking all the cyano algae out that I can and also cutting way down on my feedings.

I have about 9hrs a day cuz I have quad T5 HO. I would get at least 30x of water turn over ratio as well (I have about 45x) so that nothing settles down

I have about 9hrs a day cuz I have quad T5 HO. I would get at least 30x of water turn over ratio as well (I have about 45x) so that nothing settles down

I have a hair under 40x turn in my tank as of now (about 39.65x) and after sucking all the cyano out and stirring my sand my tank looks way healthier.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom