Sand as substrate for goldies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenn27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought some pool sand for my Oscar tank (as was recommended to me by friends in an Oscar forum). I want to put the sand in my goldie tank, too. I am just sick of dealing with rocks/gravel b/c it just makes my nittrates soar. :facepalm: And, yes, I do vacuum the gravel with every weekly water change. ;) I wanted to make sure the sand would be ok for them, too. :fish1:

Goldie fanatic here- pfs (pool filter sand) is great for goldies! I actually wound up switching everything to pfs because its so much easier to clean & take care of! :)

They'll thoroughly enjoy sifting through it and trying to find little tidbits in it. Finer gravel and sand work great for goldfish, provided that you do gravel vac/stir it up every week to prevent it from accumulating too much muck (especially with goldfish).

Sweet!!! Thanks so much, guys!! I have had goldies for years, and am kinda new to Oscars, but we do love our fishies! VERY new to the sand thing, though I have heard it is much easier to keep clean than sand. I am super excited to add the sand to my tanks!!

Back
Top Bottom