Sand Cleaner Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaGal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a new 10-gal tank Sunday and the substrate is black sand. The tank is home to three albino corys, one flame dwarf gourami, and one olive nerite snail. My only problem is these fish poop a ton and so the sand is covered in fish poop. The corys and the snail won't touch it, and the gourami has this need to pick up the turds and spit them into the water to watch them sink somewhere else. It's a nasty, gross, poopy mess. Is there a bottom-feeder I can get that will clean this mess up?

Best thing to do is siphon them out during your weekly water changes. Or get rid of some of your fishes. I cant think of any fish atm that will eat fish poop.

sometimes a siphon doesn't work... i know i struggle REALLY hard with my Aqueon water changer to get fish poop out... its almost like its too heavy even with my sink at full blast... any suggestions on this one? lol:confused:

It's on the sand. I don't have gravel. I don't wanna really vacuum my sand out of the tank. And my fish are super cool and happy, so they can stay. The tank isn't even stocked all the way. I need something to clean up this mess or it's gonna keep getting messier and messier. I got live bamboo, but I doubt that eats the fish poop. It's more annoying since my fish are compelled to not only excrete it but also throw it everywhere, so I get the wonderfully beautiful show of poop twirling through the water after they play in it. They need to just eat it.

HopefulHobbiest said:
sometimes a siphon doesn't work... i know i struggle REALLY hard with my Aqueon water changer to get fish poop out... its almost like its too heavy even with my sink at full blast... any suggestions on this one? lol:confused:

I dont connect my aqueon to facet. Instead i put it to the lowest point (toilet or to my backyard)for stronger siphoning. I only lose a pinch of sand even if my siphon is touching and stirring the sand.

Cories, snails and shrimp don't eat poop. You are aware of that right? Get a gravel vac and hold it about an inch over the sand. Move the vac in a circular motion to disturb the waste to make it easier to suck up. It takes some practice but it's possible, trust me. The bamboo you have is dracaena. Dracaena is a terrestrial plant. It will help out with ammonia, etc a little but it will soon perish if the leaves are not out of the water.

I have to say the mental image of fish flinging poop made my day. I must need more sleep because i laughed like someone a third my age would reading that lol. I don't know if this would work for you but in my small betta tank my siphon sucks too fast to get a good substrate clean in with my pwc so i use a small fine mesh net, fan it near the bottom to create water current and catch any uneaten food and poop in that when it flies up. Or maybe an hob filter with a longer intake would help but i don't know on that.

mumma.of.two is 100% correct. There seems to be a misconception with poop eating inverts or fish. The only thing that will alleviate this problem without vacuuming would be to direct your waterflow in such a way that it accumulates in one place and have that spot heavily planted.

I have to say the mental image of fish flinging poop made my day. I must need more sleep because i laughed like someone a third my age would reading that lol. I don't know if this would work for you but in my small betta tank my siphon sucks too fast to get a good substrate clean in with my pwc so i use a small fine mesh net, fan it near the bottom to create water current and catch any uneaten food and poop in that when it flies up. Or maybe an hob filter with a longer intake would help but i don't know on that.

If you want a really good mental image, my nerite snail is in the words of my psychiatrist "addicted to algae wafers". When I had my betta tank, I would give the snail about half a wafer maybe twice a week, and he would work his way under it, flip himself upside-down, and eat the wafer in such a way that as it disappeared, it would flip him back over. Monday, I tossed a whole wafer in, thinking now that I've got Energizer and three corys, they would all eat at it and it would be fine. Heck, no. The corys nibbled at it, but none of them can eat and sit at the same time, so they have to do laps between nibbles. Energizer found it and sat on top of it to eat it. Any time the corys came near him, it was on. He hit one and got one in the eye with a feeler. He ate a good 95% of that wafer. Woke up this morning and was startled by the look of one of my caves. One has a skull on the front, and it honestly looked like someone had shot it while I was asleep. Look closer to find that it's Energizer sitting over what yoga calls the "third eye" just chilling there, looking like a black bullet-hole. I would love to get another snail, but if I put in another snail like Energizer, along with the corys, it might be War of the Algae Wafer in my tank.

If you want a really good mental image, my nerite snail is in the words of my psychiatrist "addicted to algae wafers". When I had my betta tank, I would give the snail about half a wafer maybe twice a week, and he would work his way under it, flip himself upside-down, and eat the wafer in such a way that as it disappeared, it would flip him back over. Monday, I tossed a whole wafer in, thinking now that I've got Energizer and three corys, they would all eat at it and it would be fine. Heck, no. The corys nibbled at it, but none of them can eat and sit at the same time, so they have to do laps between nibbles. Energizer found it and sat on top of it to eat it. Any time the corys came near him, it was on. He hit one and got one in the eye with a feeler. He ate a good 95% of that wafer. Woke up this morning and was startled by the look of one of my caves. One has a skull on the front, and it honestly looked like someone had shot it while I was asleep. Look closer to find that it's Energizer sitting over what yoga calls the "third eye" just chilling there, looking like a black bullet-hole. I would love to get another snail, but if I put in another snail like Energizer, along with the corys, it might be War of the Algae Wafer in my tank.

lol do you have a pic of this lil fella...lol

I don't have any of him hogging the algae wafer or hitting the corys with his shell or poking them in the eye with his feelers, but here's two of his weirdly colored belly and of his shell. And I'm about to put in I think two wafers this time, one for him to hoard and one for the corys to eat without getting battered and poked. I'll see if he does it again, and if so, there will be evidence. :popcorn:

Attachments

• DSC01040.jpg
    DSC01040.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC01043.jpg
    DSC01043.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 88

If that made you laugh, our fish will try to eat the poop before it completely leaves the other fish... :facepalm:

Would putting some live plants in the tank help with the poop? I don't know if they'd use it as a type of fertilizer? We have the same problem with our tanks with the poop not getting sucked up enough due to lack of suction from our spigot.

If that made you laugh, our fish will try to eat the poop before it completely leaves the other fish... :facepalm:

Would putting some live plants in the tank help with the poop? I don't know if they'd use it as a type of fertilizer? We have the same problem with our tanks with the poop not getting sucked up enough due to lack of suction from our spigot.

:ROFLMAO: My guppies did that too!! So gross, but fish are weird!!

As for live plants, I have a little bit of bamboo in there, but the poop is now everywhere. Poor Energizer no longer has his litter box now that we have to have it raining poop all day. I was hoping I could get something that would clean it up for me, but I guess nothing is sold. I think there HAS to be SOMETHING on this planet that does. If not, I would think the oceans and lakes and stuff would be absolutely COVERED by now. It's gotta be going somewhere. Where, I have no idea, but it must be going somewhere. Me and gravel vacuums don't get along. I've had them and broke down to a turkey baster because I couldn't get it to work. :ermm:

I believe saltwater has a "clean up crew" that the fresh does not, but in the water, the poop does break down and is constantly moved and eroded by current. But the poop (bacteria from it) is one of the reasons you shouldn't drink water straight from any source and should clean it first.

If you can't solve the low flow issue with your water changer just do this...
Get a large bucket and a six foot length of appropriately sized vinyl hose. Attach the gravel vac end of your water changer to the short hose. Put your bucket on the ground and start a siphon using the shorter gravel vac. Clean for a bit, two or three buckets as needed. When cleaned up reassemble your water changer and continue as usual.

What kind of gravel vac are you using? Some of them can be hard to get started. Get one with manual pump; I use this one on my smaller tank and it works great. There's nothing that will eat poop; it's up to you to clean it. Oceans are large bodies of water, tanks are much smaller versions. If there's that much waste in the tank it can affect water quality and fish health. Best to get it out.

In all honesty, I got the gravel vacuum from Walmart and only got it because the rocks for my guppies was so disgusting I needed a way to clean it up. I could never get it to work, so I ended up getting rid of it. I used a turkey baster to get into the rocks. I can try the turkey baster today and see if I can suck up a good amount of fish poop, but it's nasty. I honestly did not think four small fish could poop so much. And I wanna get another snail, just because they're fun to watch, but not another olive nerite. Maybe a tiger or zebra. At Petco they have these gold Inca snails. I don't know if that's just another name for mystery snails, but they're pretty and gold and there's several in there. They got black mysteries too, but since I don't have Buddy, who hated anything bright, I don't have to get black. I can get neon! Not really, they don't exist, but just saying. That would be the coolest snail ever. Neon snail.

In all honesty, I got the gravel vacuum from Walmart and only got it because the rocks for my guppies was so disgusting I needed a way to clean it up. I could never get it to work, so I ended up getting rid of it. I used a turkey baster to get into the rocks. I can try the turkey baster today and see if I can suck up a good amount of fish poop, but it's nasty. I honestly did not think four small fish could poop so much. And I wanna get another snail, just because they're fun to watch, but not another olive nerite. Maybe a tiger or zebra. At Petco they have these gold Inca snails. I don't know if that's just another name for mystery snails, but they're pretty and gold and there's several in there. They got black mysteries too, but since I don't have Buddy, who hated anything bright, I don't have to get black. I can get neon! Not really, they don't exist, but just saying. That would be the coolest snail ever. Neon snail.

Try one that attaches to your sink. Aqueon makes one that is a little bit cheaper than the Python, I think. But they work tons easier.

Back
Top Bottom