Sand Dollar!!! Dead or alive???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

King Supra

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm on vacation again this time in North Carolina in surf city and my little sister came back to the house with a baby sand dollar she found in the ocean. And my whole family was wondering if it's alive or not here are some pics.

It's very tiny please help!!!

If they break in half are they still alive or do they die??? I found one during spring break that got split in half from the waves and tide and that one was a dark grey looked nothing like this one

And if they are alive they will turn your skin yellow when you hold them

Sent from my LG-D851 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's dead. That's the bone. The ones that are alive are brown and have tiny legs on one side. Kind of like a starfish. You can tell when they are alive. They feel furry, they move. This is a skeleton.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If they break in half are they still alive or do they die??? I found one during spring break that got split in half from the waves and tide and that one was a dark grey looked nothing like this one

The bone can also turn grey. They are usually not pure white until they have been in the sun for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Take-The-Test-Tybee-Sand-Dollars-Tybee-Marine-Science-Center.png

Thanks guys a bunch the beach were out I guess is known for sand dollars haha

Yeah I used to find them all the time on myrtle beach in South Carolina I love it

Back
Top Bottom