Sand Filters for Ponds (?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sun_lax

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

My dad has a pond in which he is using two in-pond filters with limited success. He is planing to install a pool sand filter. I asked him to hold off for a few days so that I could post a question here....

Does anyone know of a reason he should not try to use this filter for his pond? Thanks in advance...

Aaron.

They are nice.

Keeps the water clear.

Keep in mind its not the same as a pool. The sand will clog very quickly. People I know use external filters for their main filtration, and every once in a while they run the sand filter to polish the water clean.

The main problem is it will always be dirty with all the junk that is in a pond.

I had one on my pond and it kept the water crystal clear. After a while got to where I had to backwash it everyday. When we moved and built the new pond I decided it was to much trouble so I went with a skimmer/filter falls. Isn't as efficient as the sand filter though.

Yea my point exactly.

Will basically take ALL the crud in your water out, most filters leave alot of this crud in there but sand filters take it out, which is why they clog so fast.

What people I know do is run a regular filter, and a couple times a week run the sand filter for a few hours to keep the water really clear.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys. I will pass this on to Dad tonight.

Greg, as a D.A. Fan, I have to say I love your Tag Line...
Aaron.

Back
Top Bottom