Sand for the first time??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBoy185

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've finally decided on using sand for the first time on my 75 gallon with an Oscar. I have no idea on what type of sand I want but I know that I definitely do not want play sand. I looked into pool filter sand but people said that it will get sucked up into the filter and break it. So do you have any recommendations on what type of sand is best please mention it.
Thank you

Pool filter sand, silica sand, or black diamond blasting sand. And sand can get sucked into the filter and kill it.

Well it depends on what kind of fish you are going to get.
I'm pretty sure that if you have any loaches or corydoras or any other bottom dweller then blasting sand is out of the question.

I don't know what your budget is but I bought black aquarium sand from petco and I love it, but at nearly a dollar a pound you can probably go cheaper.
Is there a reason you don't want play sand?

Pool filter sand, silica sand, or black diamond blasting sand. And sand can get sucked into the filter and kill it.

+1 Those are the three most affordable options.

As long as the fish aren't diggers and your filter intakes aren't positioned too close to the substrate they will be fine. I have silica sand in my cichlid tank with which they are CONSTANTLY digging. It took them all of 6 months to shred the impeller on both of my filters. I did however have the intakes positioned close to the substrate to suck up detritus. If you are worried about filter damage then a pre filter sponge will solve any potential issues.

I have sand in my 75 and 15 I have had no problem with filters but the blasting sand and black carabian sand is magnetic so I woulnt suggest it. I found this out the hard way. I paid the extra for the carabia sand from petsmart and was using the magnetic algae cleaner. The sand stuck to it and scratched the tank.

Play sand to me seems like its really dirty and just mud.

I tried play sand once. It did have a lot of dirt in it that had to be washed out. There was probably a 20% - 30% loss in volume after washing although that might have just been the brand.

My 56 gallon that I started I used black diamond sand blasting sand 50lbs for 8.50 and bit looks awesome!. My 20 gallon quArantine tank I used quikrete medium sand and it looks good, it was 50lbs for 4.50 my fish enjoy both

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Depending on your budget, I bought caribsea black sand, it looks great! It has this sort of shine to it

I bought an 88lb bag of I think Silica sand for my 90g from an industrial supply store and I love it. My geophagus seem to love it too they sift it all day long. Great natural look too.

Attachments

• image-2513372765.jpg
    image-2513372765.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 96
I bought an 88lb bag of I think Silica sand for my 90g from an industrial supply store and I love it. My geophagus seem to love it too they sift it all day long. Great natural look too.

And it only cost me $7.50 for that huge bag. Definitely an option I would look into it's the cheapest solution.

Back
Top Bottom