Sand from wash in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubba rust

Aquarium Advice Regular
There are a lot of washes near where I leave and I was wondering if I would be able to use sand from them if u washed it really well

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can you better explain this "wash" for us Yankees;) in guessing dry river bed?

So can you explain to me what I need to do I tried googling and idk which way to do it but I'd rather you tell me! Thanks

If I were you, I wouldn't.. I know because I tried this when I got my 55 gal. going. It turned into a stinky mess (literally). It never cleared out because there was quite a bit of sediment and stuff.
Is it very sandy? Maybe try bringing some home and testing it by putting some in a cup with water and see if it clears up and settles like sand should.

Well you guessed right. Lol it a wash is a dried river bed :) and yes it is very sandy in some parts

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well you guessed right. Lol it a wash is a dried river bed :) and yes it is very sandy in some parts Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
id pass, chances are there are some hardcore, survivor nasties in that stuff, if you're dead set than bleach n boil my friend.. Nature don't play..

id pass, chances are there are some hardcore, survivor nasties in that stuff, if you're dead set than bleach n boil my friend.. Nature don't play..

Yes! How could I forget! You would definitely have to boil it to kill anything living in it.

Is be more worried about pollutants than any life forms in the sand. Not worth it when you can buy 50lbs of sand for $10.

I live in LA with washes everywhere and they are disgusting lol. You really don't know what's been in there.

I live in LA with washes everywhere and they are disgusting lol. You really don't know what's been in there I wouldn't use it.

Back
Top Bottom