Sand/gravel qty. for 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosebud

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Everyone,

I can't believe it has been over a year since I posted on this forum. I am finally ready to set up my little 10 gallon tank.

I am planning on using mostly black sand with a little natural color gravel to put on top at the back and maybe a little band diagonal back to front. I have a 20 lb bag of CaribSea and a 2 lb bag of small, smooth gravel. Wondering how much sand I will need if I want it 2-3" front to back.

I ordered this sand from Foster's and Smith about 6 months ago and just took it out of the box. I now see it is "instant aquarium" and has water conditioner, etc. already in it. I thought I was just ordering plain black sand. Never used sand before and this one says no rinsing and it looks wet.

Thanks for your help.
Roxi

i got the same stuff and love it i used 80 lb in a 75 gal tank could have used 1 more bag but have to live with it....
it all depend on you they say lb per gal but its up to the 1 who has to look at it in my opinion..lol
i think you should have plenty if not you can get some filter media and place it under so bb grows on that and it fills some space for you to get your desired height...good luck(y)

i got the same stuff and love it i used 80 lb in a 75 gal tank could have used 1 more bag but have to live with it....
it all depend on you they say lb per gal but its up to the 1 who has to look at it in my opinion..lol
i think you should have plenty if not you can get some filter media and place it under so bb grows on that and it fills some space for you to get your desired height...good luck(y)

Thanks "abstract373." Guess I'll put it in and see how it looks in the tank. I'll start a tank cycle thread in a few days.

Roxi

Thanks Mumma. I have a 20# bag of sand and 2# of gravel. I'm going with that. I spent a long time talking with a guy at my lfs. I remember seeing him there for at least the last 6 years. He is very knowledgable. After the tank is cycled I will start with a school of white clouds. He said he gets nice healthy habrosus cories in the spring. So I 'll get those then. Once I have some algae I'll get a Nerita snail.

Roxi

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom