Sand or gravel for Oscar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddiienno

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any experience with either? Can't decide on substrate here.

Sand is a lot easier to clean. Gravel collects uneaten food and poop that turn into nitrates and phosphate + sand has more surface area for bb and works as a natural filter as long as your not disturbing the sand bed to much

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If Oscars move substrate like my hybrid I would do a thin layer of which ever you like best. With only a thin layer its easy to clean either. The only disadvantage with sand in this case is the Oscar spitting sand into the filter intake and stalling the impeller. About once a week I get home from work with a stalled filter. No big deal because I run 3 filters but its just a pain to have to clean it out on the fishes terms and not mine.

+1 to mike. Cichlids take in sand and swim away spitting it out. May not be a problem, especially with a prefilter. I like sand better but get ready for lots of fish induced aquascaping. My Oscar used to clean out a burrow all the way to the glass and sleep in it.

Back
Top Bottom