Sand or gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
at the end of the day, sand or gravel is a personal preference.

but most bottom dwelling fish prefer sand. It's natural and for some species like corydoras catfish, it won't them when searching for food.

I also find sand is easier to clean.

Once you go with sand you will never look back. Pool filter sand is dirt cheap if you don't want to spend a lot money. You can go to your local home depot and pick up a bag of 50lb for about $5

Well i want to make it look like the botton of the ocean and thinking how i can live obviously i need a bigger tank for a better effect but i dont have the room for it

Stevieb2k11 said:
Well i want to make it look like the botton of the ocean and thinking how i can live obviously i need a bigger tank for a better effect but i dont have the room for it

Pool filter sand looks natural

Cheers is there dish you cant have with it or can anyfish go woth sand as youcan tell ive only ever had gravel

Cheers and a reali stupid question.
How do you clean the sand as it is much finer thn gravel and just wonderd if there was a special cleaner for it

Depending in the consistency, it may stir up abit. I use petco brand sand and it's a little thicker than pfs and doesn't stir. It's also 20 for 20 lbs.

somethingsfishy said:
Depending in the consistency, it may stir up abit. I use petco brand sand and it's a little thicker than pfs and doesn't stir. It's also 20 for 20 lbs.

I got the light shade petco brand sand for my 10gal betta tank because I wanted a more natural looking tank. It's really easy to slope and I think it just looks better than gravel.

Attachments

• image-1491464027.jpg
    image-1491464027.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 62
RDouglas50 said:
I got the light shade petco brand sand for my 10gal betta tank because I wanted a more natural looking tank. It's really easy to slope and I think it just looks better than gravel.

Nice setup would you reckonmend a background aswell if so what type as i am a not sure to get one when i get a bigger tank i have one on my current tank but its a plain blue one

Stevieb2k11 said:
Nice setup would you reckonmend a background aswell if so what type as i am a not sure to get one when i get a bigger tank i have one on my current tank but its a plain blue one

I use a black background (more like a black trash bag tapped to the back of the tank). I just think it makes the tank look cleaner than if you were to have a busy background or even no background.

somethingsfishy said:

Pool filter sand does not create a mess when you vacuum the sandbed. Only takes a couple of seconds to settle just like any other sand.

Back
Top Bottom