sand or gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sand or Gravel?

• Sand

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Gravel

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
I still cannot decide what kind of substrate to use for my new 20g..

I know sand is wayyyyyyy better by appearance but I need to know which one takes less time to maintain.

I have been told that I can't use siphon with sand and sometimes the filter will suck up the sand which requires me to clean my filter as well. also I have to stir the sand or whatever so it won't become toxic.

as far as i know gravel on the other hand only needs siphon.

Which one would you prefer (without going by the appearance but maintenance wise) to have in your tank with red cherry shrimps and some nano fish (neon tetras, CPD's, or chili rasboras)?

Sand. I find it much easier to maintain then gravel as the funk just sits on top and all you have to do is hoover it off with your vac. Never had a problem with it getting into my filter, I have three tanks with sand. I think it is mostly blown out of proportion but, if you are worried about gas pockets then get some Malaysian Trumpet Snails to work for you.

Sand. I find it much easier to maintain then gravel as the funk just sits on top and all you have to do is hoover it off with your vac. Never had a problem with it getting into my filter, I have three tanks with sand. I think it is mostly blown out of proportion but, if you are worried about gas pockets then get some Malaysian Trumpet Snails to work for you.

see thats what i have heard that i should get those. how man should i get for MTS? and do they reproduce fast?

I got 10 mts and now I have well over 200. I also prefer sand much more than gravel. I switched to sand on all my tanks

Paulcm10 said:
will they compete with my shrimps for food?

Shrimps main food is bio-film. I don't think MTS eat bio-film. They will consume some algea. If you feed your shrimp colony with some algea wafers and other foods, you will be fine:)

Shrimps main food is bio-film. I don't think MTS eat bio-film. They will consume some algea. If you feed your shrimp colony with some algea wafers and other foods, you will be fine:)

oh ok thats good. i'll see if i can find some mts at petco

Sand

Sand is good.

I have had my main tank for 2 years with Super Naturals, it looks like reef sand, fine and dense, natural white, I don't remember the actual name. Everyone is impressed with the look of it. And it is easy to clean.

That said...the sand has chewed up several impellers (HOB). But my Aqueon filter has been the best for that type of sand, lasted MUCH, longer, the other filters Walmart Aquaclear??, died in a month, and the whisper filter died 3 months.

It was suggested to put filter media around the intake to keep sand out of the filter, I tried that last week but it is ugly looking and is just collecting the debris on it which is unsightly too.

Just unplug the filter during cleaning and refilling, that helps keep out the sand from the filter. The other issue is air bubbler, I have a bar style which kicks up sand all around it, I wouldn't recommend that. lol

I am planning to add some medium stones around it, its in the back of my aquarium with a large rock in front of it, it kicks up a ton of sand.

It is dense and occasionally gets dark shadow look, maybe the gas pocket, I try to make a point to move it around a little so that doesn't happen.

On the other hand, I got a new kind a few months ago, from Petco and it is lighter with a slightly larger grain and doesn't seem to compact so much, it's in a different tank and it doesn't seem like it floats up as much but it is lighter and sometime actually floats on the water in little amounts, mostly when we are doing a water change.

I think they keep the gunk out of the bottom so it gets sucked up to the filter better.

Hope that helps.

Paulcm10 said:
oh ok thats good. i'll see if i can find some mts at petco

You cannot find MTS at petco or petsmart. Your best bet would be too get them from another hobbyist or from a LFS:) just post a "wanted" add in the classified's and you will get some responses.

walmart aquaclear? no aqua clear by hagen.
those filters are supposed to be one of the best.

so the sand ruined your filters?

You cannot find MTS at petco or petsmart. Your best bet would be too get them from another hobbyist or from a LFS:) just post a "wanted" add in the classified's and you will get some responses.

oh okay cool. I will do that if i decide to do sand haha

Yeah, haha if you find a LFS that has them, chances are they will give them to you for free.

i still am trying to decide if i want sand or gravel first... thats all i need to do then i can start getting everything else haha

Wrong word, it is one sold at Walmart, Aqua Tech, lower price point, and the other one it ate up was the Whisper advanced, I just went in and looked at the old box. Ate up the impeller, on the original Aqueon after almost a year and no one had the impellers, would have had to order it, it made intermittent loud crazy noises because the sand gets stuck between the impeller and the magnet wearing it into an oval instead of a circle inside.

I bought the next one because husband didn't like being awoken by a screaming fish tank filter, or have the TV show interrupted.

The company said I could order them but I needed one immediately so bought another filter, saved receipt, pump went out 3 months, which I think was the Whisper Advanced, I then tried the Walmart one not their brand but the one which is the lower price and it died in a month got my money back. I bought another Aqueon and it has been going for about a year, so I should order another few impellers, for when it goes bad. LOL

I have sand, either play sand or PFS, in 8 out of 9 tanks. Really, gravel is a pain. It's holds too much waste and IMO doesn't look anywhere near as good as sand. The deadliness of gas pockets is over rated IMO. If your worried you can use a fork or stick to mix it or get MTS. Plants will also help as their roots grow. It can get into filters but only if you mix it about or have fish (like larger cichlids) that dig in it. PFS is heavier than play sand so falls to the bottom almost instantly when kicked up.

Mumma.of.two said:
I have sand, either play sand or PFS, in 8 out of 9 tanks. Really, gravel is a pain. It's holds too much waste and IMO doesn't look anywhere near as good as sand. The deadliness of gas pockets is over rated IMO. If your worried you can use a fork or stick to mix it or get MTS. Plants will also help as their roots grow. It can get into filters but only if you mix it about or have fish (like larger cichlids) that dig in it. PFS is heavier than play sand so falls to the bottom almost instantly when kicked up.

+1 I have PFS in one of my tanks and I directly vacuum into it with the siphon. Not to mention it was $10 for 50lbs

How is the sand for plants, with a devoid of nutrient soil, do you just plant into the sand or pots or what ever and is the fish waste and fertilizers what you use. New to planted aquariums just curious...?

Autumnsky said:
How is the sand for plants, with a devoid of nutrient soil, do you just plant into the sand or pots or what ever and is the fish waste and fertilizers what you use. New to planted aquariums just curious...?

Yeah, feel free to ask away!! With sand, you use root tabs. They're basically little tablets you put under the sand and they slowly release nutrients to the roots of the plants. Petsmart and petco sell API and Seachem ones, or you can make your own which is a little more difficult then just buying them. Bobstropicalplants.com also sells them, but his are MUCH cheaper for what you get:)

Back
Top Bottom