Sand or Pebbles/Live or Artificial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RevLoder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Starting up a new to me tank (55 gal). Can someone help me with pros and cons of sand vs. pebbles? Also, never done live plants, but think I'd like to. What do I need to know there?

Also, I have a nice stand that will house a filter. Is one canister filter good? I've seen some folks running a couple of filters.

And what about a bubbler? This tank is in my office at church and don't want a lot exposed. Can the bubbler be below the tank?

Sorry if some of these are dumb questions.

Thanks for any help.

Research, research, research...that is the answer to your questions.

We're glad to give you all the advice we can, but many times we have various opinions, that don't always agree and your the one who knows what you want.

I have pool filter sand in 2 of my 3 tanks, and would have sand in all if my wife and daughter would let me put sand in their 55 gallon guppy mansion. Sand is good for corydora catfish( many different species, but highly recommended getting some) and other bottom dwellers. I also like sand because it reduces the importance of vacuuming your substrate (be it sand or gravel), and most with live plants don't vacuum the substrate.
My major problem with gravel is it's a major headache to vacum the uneaten food and fish waste that gets caught in the gravel.

Live plants are very good for an aquarium helping to keep the aquarium water clean. Live plants also provide algae for some fish, snails, or shrimp to eat. Plants also provide cover and food for fry if you decide to end up raising any, just adds male and female livebearers and you'll get some..trust me. Lol

That being said, and someone else can probably say it better, I highly recommend both sand substrate and live plants. I raise livebearers (of all kinds), cory cats, and snails (mystery, nerite, pond, assassin, Malaysian trumpet and ramshorn's) in my planted tanks. The snails and cory's keep the bottom of the tank clean and the plants help by taking some of their nutrients from the fish waste. I don't vacuum the substrate because the snails keep the sand stirred up turning waste into usable nutrients.

My family enjoys the livebearers and their fry as you and visitors to your office may. Hope I've been of some help.

Thank you very much. I have been doing some research and am continuing.

Are there some plants that you would recommend for someone who has not done live plants before?

Also, as for decor, it seems to me that organic is better. So like driftwood and natural rocks? Or for what should I look?

Anubias and Java ferns both come in many variety's and are easy to care for. Both are a rhizome you attach to driftwood or rock with super glue or thread, don't plant it or it will rot. Many types of mosses, such as Java moss are easy als
Wisteria and guppy grass are very easy but also extremely quick growing (like a bad weed. Lol), however I and many others have them.

We love to give advice and help so keep reading posts and researching, someone will be here to answer questions.

Back
Top Bottom