Sand substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can use playsand, but you will have to clean it much more! I'd avoid blasting sand, after all it is made to... Smash rock... So... Yeah. I'm a sucker and spent like 20$ on 50 pounds of sand. I've found it looks cool of you mix white sand with a natural, tan sand. I will post pics in the morning.

I use pool filter sand in my 55 which was very easy to clean, and I use black sand that I got from my LFS in my 36 to cap my dirted tank. I have no problems with plants staying rooted in either tank. I will say that it is a lot easier for the inhabitants to uproot your plants though. My khulis drive me nuts digging around my Dwarf hairgrass.

Lots of good info here.. Have to go and look around and see what bargains I can get here in the uk

My only advice from using sand is once it's settled for a while and you're plants are all settled in, don't disturb the lower few inches. I moved a few bits round in mine and a mess of black stuff spewed out, had a big ammonia spike and all my fish started gasping, luckily no permanent damage.

okay, never thought of getting blasting sand, do you get it from hardware shop? I've currently got gravel and hate it, the debris falls in through it and it's a bugger to clean. I have an orange shark (not sure what they are called) and it likes to up root what ever it can, funny to watch, not funny to replant lol

Just saw a bag of kids play sand.. Can I use this please ??
Smyths(toystore) currently or should have kids playsand in stock. Also Tesco/Asda might have it now or very soon. The one they sell in Smyths(in Ireland) is perfect. A nice light colour, not too white and over here it's only about €5 a bag-10kg, probably cheaper for you's!!
Sorry just skipped through the thread, what size tank???

I have playsand in my 29 gallon and it's not messy at all for sand. Lots of folk use it.

Yes. I suggest using pool filter sand or special aquarium sand (prob at your LFS)
You'll struggle to find pool filter sand in Wales!!. Special Aquarium sand will cost a pretty penny. Go with the playsand, not messier and as good as any of those other sands.....
2 10kg bags will be plenty...

Ok thanks. :) how long does it take to settle ?
It depends how well you wash it. Mine was crystal clear in a day. I have to pop out but i'll chat to you later about how I dine mine. I'm sure the other members here will have good advice on how to do it.....

Ok thanks. :) how long does it take to settle ?

I'm thinking almost any sand is ok as long as it's rinsed well, you want to remove as much dust as possible. We use sand blasters in my shop, I personally can't see this sand going in a tank since it's almost like a fine sand or powder, unless there is a coarse type I haven't heard of.
You'd still be better off buying the substrate in the pet shop, a 15 gallon tank doesn't need much.

I'm thinking almost any sand is ok as long as it's rinsed well, you want to remove as much dust as possible. We use sand blasters in my shop, I personally can't see this sand going in a tank since it's almost like a fine sand or powder, unless there is a coarse type I haven't heard of.
You'd still be better off buying the substrate in the pet shop, a 15 gallon tank doesn't need much.

Yes I do believe blasting sand comes in different grit sizes.

Here is a thread with people's 100% black diamond blasting sand tanks.
BLACK DIAMOND SAND tanks! Let's see them "blasting away" here!!!

ALso here's a good general article on sand for aquariums
Sand for the Aquarium

I just switched from gravel to play sand...make sure u wash it and when u think its washed...wash it a few more times. Once u put it in your tank use a plate on the top of the sand and then pour the water back in. Mine took two days to settle but now its crystal clear and I love it!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom