Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you dont mind sand clogging your filter sure...

actually that looks like it might be that heavier stuff, you may wanna post what quality of sand sw people use.

i dunno why some people do use sand, how do you clean the fish crap out? cant use a gravel vac

You don't need to push the cleaner into the sand to clean up the fish waste. Since the waste doesn't fall between the sand like it does gravel you don't have to push it in to pull the waste out, just run the cleaner about 1/2 inch or so above the sand and it pulls the waste right up. And as far as it clogging your filter I don't have that problem either. Yes its very light but it doesn't get kicked up and stay up in the water like you might think, it quickly settles right back down to the bottom. Just make sure the intake is at lease 4-5 inches from the bottom of your tank and you'll be fine. I also make a slight depression around the base of all my plants and the waste usually settles in those low spots. If your adding sand to an established aquarium 10-20% daily water changes will help clear up the cloudiness in no time at all. Just make sure you add the sand very slowly and don't just dump it in the top of your tank.

I work at a pool store and can tell you that all manufacturers of pool filter sand sell the same sized sand. Pool filter sand is of a uniform size, #20 grade silica. The only thing that differs from manufacturer is the color.

I use regular pool filter sand in my 14g hex ($8 for 50lbs). One tip I have is to NOT run the filter for at least 48 hours after adding the sand. I let it settle for 24 hours and turned the filter on only to have it stop. After 48 hours no problem.

Three weeks later and it still look great. The fish "poo" is hardly noticeable and it's easy to clean using a siphon. If only I could have found black pool filter sand.....

Just wash it really, really, really good. Use a hose and aim the bucket at a 45 degree angle. It gets all the light stuff out and keeps the heavier stuff. I can mess with the sand for 15 minutes and it doesn't cloud the water. Just falls right back down.

a few pics of my new sand substrate IMO Sand is great! Its still a bit cloudy because I didnt clean it for as long as I probably should have but with water changes it clears up fine and I dont see any different Behavior from any of my fish.

img_678976_0_84f1ded1068bc29b755f6b9a4c26d0b3.jpg

img_678976_1_6ba69f7c4c5fd4387d42e1339678c55e.jpg

img_678976_2_8a97af471afbc2de4ce09e55576b5fbb.jpg

img_678976_3_fd4c137528404ca6d970c9fb3a7c5af3.jpg

Burks said:
I use regular pool filter sand in my 14g hex ($8 for 50lbs). One tip I have is to NOT run the filter for at least 48 hours after adding the sand. I let it settle for 24 hours and turned the filter on only to have it stop. After 48 hours no problem.

if you rinse the sand well enough with a bucket and hose, you shouldn't have to turn the filter off at all. I added 125 pounds of PFS to my tank and the water stayed clear and the sand never got in the filter.

I thought I rinsed it well enough but I guess not. Learned my lesson and will do it twice as much next time.

Back
Top Bottom