Sandy bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcass

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have seen fine sand in the pet stores and of course gravel. I'm curious though about the sand. If that's the route you want to take, couldn't you just use regular playground or beach sand?

Mcass said:
Have seen fine sand in the pet stores and of course gravel. I'm curious though about the sand. If that's the route you want to take, couldn't you just use regular playground or beach sand?

You could use playsand, pool filter sand, or blasting sand. All cheaper alternatives than the over priced sand at the lfs. I have white blasting sand and love it! So easy to clean! I wouldn't use beach sand, you don't want to introduce any nasties into ur tank :)

That makes sense (beach). But that is why I asked. The sand they sell is incredibly expensive I think. I can see the price of the gravel but not the sand. I didn't know if there was anything special about. I've been thinking about using sand in my newest cichlids tank as I have only used gravel before. Going for a little change this time. Thanks for the advice. I didn't think it would be a problem but you never know unless you try or know someone who has.

Mcass said:
That makes sense (beach). But that is why I asked. The sand they sell is incredibly expensive I think. I can see the price of the gravel but not the sand. I didn't know if there was anything special about. I've been thinking about using sand in my newest cichlids tank as I have only used gravel before. Going for a little change this time. Thanks for the advice. I didn't think it would be a problem but you never know unless you try or know someone who has.

My Africans LOVE the sand, they dig all day, pretty cool to watch. I paid about $10 for 100 pounds of sand, they come in 50 pound bags. Couldn't beat the price!

You wouldn't by chance have a pic of it in the tank would you? I'd be curious as to how it looks. Like I said I've only used gravel. The only sand I've seen in a tank has been salt water.

Mcass said:
You wouldn't by chance have a pic of it in the tank would you? I'd be curious as to how it looks. Like I said I've only used gravel. The only sand I've seen in a tank has been salt water.
Absolutely! I'm on my phone so its a bad quality pic, sorry about that! The thread in my signature is my build thread, it has tons of pics in it too :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120330_003932.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120330_003932.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 94
Woohoo, I just became an Aquarium Advice Activist with my 100th post! Lol....pardon my celebration!

Wow, i love it. That is a gorgeous tank. What are all the little caves?

Mcass said:
Wow, i love it. That is a gorgeous tank. What are all the little caves?

Thanks! Cichlid stones and some structures I built out of some flat rock I bought off eBay. I used silicone to make them.

Only an Addict would congratulate me on an accomplishment like that....lol

Cichlids stones huh....never heard of them. I may have to try those in the 76 gallon half circle I'm starting this weekend.

Id give ya a link but I'm on my phone and that's a ton of work lol, check fosters and smith I think is the website, occasionally my lfs carries them.

I just checked out your photos. Awesome collection. How many fish do you currently have in the 55? And what is that orange looking pleco? I've never seen one that color.

Mcass said:
I just checked out your photos. Awesome collection. How many fish do you currently have in the 55? And what is that orange looking pleco? I've never seen one that color.

Thanks! 18, the pleco is an Albino Bristlenose Pleco, it doesn't have its bristles yet tho, still a baby only about 2 inches long, cute little bugger!

I may have to try and find one of those for the new tank. Your like me....no limits to how many can fit in a tank. I can't count how many times I've been told I need to thin mine out. I think I have 13 in my 54. They all are 5-9" long at this point. I'm planning on thinning them out though. I am going to set this 76 half circle up strictly for my Livingstonii I think. Right now I have 1 male and two female I am going to put in there. I'd like to double or triple that number though eventually. I'd like to see if I can get them to breed and at the same time I want to see just how big I can get them to grow.

In my 55 I have used native Kansas limestone for the rock formations. It works great and looks good. Can't build it up to high though. It's awfully heavy and can be unstable if not set right. It does a great job for the (ph) in a cichlids tank though.

Back
Top Bottom