Sandy bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mcass said:
I may have to try and find one of those for the new tank. Your like me....no limits to how many can fit in a tank. I can't count how many times I've been told I need to thin mine out. I think I have 13 in my 54. They all are 5-9" long at this point. I'm planning on thinning them out though. I am going to set this 76 half circle up strictly for my Livingstonii I think. Right now I have 1 male and two female I am going to put in there. I'd like to double or triple that number though eventually. I'd like to see if I can get them to breed and at the same time I want to see just how big I can get them to grow.

In my 55 I have used native Kansas limestone for the rock formations. It works great and looks good. Can't build it up to high though. It's awfully heavy and can be unstable if not set right. It does a great job for the (ph) in a cichlids tank though.

I'm planning yet another filtration upgrade once my budget allows and I have a super strict wc routine. I strive to have the best water quality for my crew :) I'm having some ph issues with it swinging over night but I have just introduced some crushed coral so I'm hoping that will help!

Last edited:
Here are several pics of my Livingstonii. The male of course has the blues and greys while the females are spotted brown. Both have a thread of white and orange on the fins. The male can even morph into the brown spots similar to the female. They are an amazing fish.

Attachments

• image-643507668.jpg
    image-643507668.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 50
  • image-1773724546.jpg
    image-1773724546.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image-2878642378.jpg
    image-2878642378.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 56
  • image-3853691769.jpg
    image-3853691769.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2843365436.jpg
    image-2843365436.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 47
  • image-1039821712.jpg
    image-1039821712.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 58
  • image-1764623042.jpg
    image-1764623042.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 54
Mcass said:
Here are several pics of my Livingstonii. The male of course has the blues and greys while the females are spotted brown. Both have a thread of white and orange on the fins. The male can even morph into the brown spots similar to the female. They are an amazing fish.

Those are amazing looking fish! very cool!

I'm glad I asked....we have actually had two Menards stores built here in Wichita in the last year. I know where I'm going tomorrow!

Awesome...now I'm really glad I asked. I just checked there website and you can get a 50 lb bag for just 7.98. That's cheap!

Mcass said:
I'm glad I asked....we have actually had two Menards stores built here in Wichita in the last year. I know where I'm going tomorrow!
Lol! That handy sand is awesome, u will like it. It's very clean straight out of the bag and doesn't need tons of rinsing although I did rinse a ton! It settles very fast too, it settled before the tank was even half filled and when the fish kick the sand up it settles before reaching the intake so less chance of it burning up ur impellers. I would recommend the use of egg crate it ur gonna have a big rockscape.

Last edited:
Mcass said:
Egg crate? What for and what exactly? Lol

It's in the lighting fixture isle, just in case a rock falls and to distribute weight it also helps with the digging in my tank that way they can't tunnel under rocks and collapse my structure. Lol

The sand should work great in my tank then. It has in internal overflow with the water entering into it about 28" above the bottom of the tank. Shouldn't have any problems if it settles well.

Mcass said:
The sand should work great in my tank then. It has in internal overflow with the water entering into it about 28" above the bottom of the tank. Shouldn't have any problems if it settles well.

It settles pretty much immediately I'm very happy with it!

Oh ok I know exactly what your talking about then. I had never thought about that. I have actually had them topple my limestone in the 54 when I first set it up. I thought the gravel base would be fine but then the next thing I knew they had dug a big hole all the way to the glass bottom and the next thing I know.....avalanche!

Mcass said:
Oh ok I know exactly what your talking about then. I had never thought about that. I have actually had them topple my limestone in the 54 when I first set it up. I thought the gravel base would be fine but then the next thing I knew they had dug a big hole all the way to the glass bottom and the next thing I know.....avalanche!

Yep! Egg crate is a great precaution! I wish Convict was online tonight, he has a ton of knowledge and has taught me everything I know, I'm so glad that I found this site, tons of great info here!

Well hey..l it's been great talking with you. You have given me some great ideas. I had just installed the sump earlier this week and am planning on filling the tank tomorrow evening. I wanted to wait until Friday evening just in case I had any leaks. Cross your fingers for me! I'll pick up the sand tomorrow and see if I can't have a new home for these guys this weekend.

I need to think through the cycling though. I have to admit I get impatient with things like that. Im wondering though now that I'm thinking about it, whether or not I could do a fifty percent water change in the 55 and just put that water in the 76. Maybe even pull one of the foam pads from the canister filter for a couple of days and throw it into the sump on the 76.

Things that make you say hmmmmmmm!

Mcass said:
Well hey..l it's been great talking with you. You have given me some great ideas. I had just installed the sump earlier this week and am planning on filling the tank tomorrow evening. I wanted to wait until Friday evening just in case I had any leaks. Cross your fingers for me! I'll pick up the sand tomorrow and see if I can't have a new home for these guys this weekend.

I need to think through the cycling though. I have to admit I get impatient with things like that. Im wondering though now that I'm thinking about it, whether or not I could do a fifty percent water change in the 55 and just put that water in the 76. Maybe even pull one of the foam pads from the canister filter for a couple of days and throw it into the sump on the 76.

Things that make you say hmmmmmmm!

Very little bb resides in the water column, ur best bet would be to use some media from the established tank. Glad I could be of some help! Best of luck to ya!

Just got to thinking...if I take media out of my canister filter on the existing tank to get the new tank going, what media is best? The foam filters or the ceramic cylinders?

Back
Top Bottom