Save a fish day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Baby's getting better and better and little bigger. I have not done anything but water changes @50% still got some black on the edges but we'll get there. Brighter though. View attachment 307805
Your Angel look pretty good. I have 4 myself that I love like kids. I will try to get a pic posted. Two are marbled pattern, one is the natural silver and black striped, the other is completely blond. They're almost fully grown now...had them since they were babies and they've grown like weeds.

The top fin I'm really concerned on he might have had too much damage to it for it to grow right or it's a mistake on my end with changing out the filters. Could be genetic. He seems happy that's all that matters. But here's a few pics if anyone what a to weight in on this...20180326_111040.jpg20180326_110942.jpg20180326_110956.jpgit's not frayed or red, just black.

I did a water test earlier today and found ammonia @.50, did a lot of water changes about 4 @50% then another 20-30% CRAP! Thought I had this under control. I really screwed up by changing to that sponge filter. Good thing I got another filter. Just wish I would've tested sooner. With the neons out, and filter back on things should start doing better. I hope. Dosed with prime and added stress coat after all my water changes. Testing again tonight. Explains a lot on that top fin. Imo.

I did a water test earlier today and found ammonia @.50, did a lot of water changes about 4 @50% then another 20-30% CRAP! Thought I had this under control. I really screwed up by changing to that sponge filter. Good thing I got another filter. Just wish I would've tested sooner. With the neons out, and filter back on things should start doing better. I hope. Dosed with prime and added stress coat after all my water changes. Testing again tonight. Explains a lot on that top fin. Imo.
During times when ammonia gets extremely high, I recommend the product Ammolock. It doesn't get rid of ammonia, but it binds with the ammonia molecules to make it non toxic to fish. It also gets rid of chlorine and chloramine in new tap water. Your test kit will still show accurate levels of ammonia until the bacteria can break it down into nitrites, but it will keep you fish from suffering from it's effects. It will also not interfere with the bacteria's ability to break the ammonia down.

A good nurse/doctor makes good recovery. Lol! [emoji6]
I've looked closely at your pics and read your comment about your baby seeming to be happy. The top fin could actually be genetic as you suggested. When fish develop different genetic forms, they're not referred to as deformed but called "sports" and their owners often try to pass those traits onto offspring to develop new colors or variations. All of the angelfish that were originally taken wild from the Amazon were black and silver stiped. The marbled and blonde and other varities are the products of sport ancestors. You may just be the owner of a new sport. It looks beautiful to me. I would certainly be happy to have it with my other 4 angels.

I've looked closely at your pics and read your comment about your baby seeming to be happy. The top fin could actually be genetic as you suggested. When fish develop different genetic forms, they're not referred to as deformed but called "sports" and their owners often try to pass those traits onto offspring to develop new colors or variations. All of the angelfish that were originally taken wild from the Amazon were black and silver stiped. The marbled and blonde and other varities are the products of sport ancestors. You may just be the owner of a new sport. It looks beautiful to me. I would certainly be happy to have it with my other 4 angels.
Oh, I'm happy with it either way. But when and if it's my fault it just makes me feel bad cause I could have done better for it. This little cutie was pretty bad when I got it. So I'm sure it's better than where it was or was going to go if I didn't come along. We'll get it. Still a saved fish either way. It still might heal up straight. Time will tell. But it's still a show case angel in my tank with my others.

Water test ammonia and it's back to zero. At least close to it. It's the pretty yellow I love to see, so we're back on top.

50% water change today. Still trying to heal. Top fin has need looking whiter sent the last water change. That's really good to see. Still bent but, still a cutie. I really think the damage of the fin was main cause of the bend. But it didn't help when I changed the filter to a sponge and had ammonia sneaking up.

50% water change today. Still trying to heal. Top fin has need looking whiter sent the last water change. That's really good to see. Still bent but, still a cutie. I really think the damage of the fin was main cause of the bend. But it didn't help when I changed the filter to a sponge and had ammonia sneaking up.
I've been following your posts for quite some time. You're doing a good job. I like the idea that you switched to a foam filter in your case and Ii know that you know how to take care of ammonia spikes. Nice going.

I've been following your posts for quite some time. You're doing a good job. I like the idea that you switched to a foam filter in your case and Ii know that you know how to take care of ammonia spikes. Nice going.
Lol! When you have as many tanks as I do, you learn real fast. I watch my fish a lot. And I do my water changes weekly sometimes sooner. specially on my little tanks. Love my fish! They keep me as busy as my kids do. Sometimes more.

Lol! When you have as many tanks as I do, you learn real fast. I watch my fish a lot. And I do my water changes weekly sometimes sooner. specially on my little tanks. Love my fish! They keep me as busy as my kids do. Sometimes more.
I've had as many as 8 tanks in my home at once. Tanks for 2 of the bedrooms, 1 large one for the den (my discus tank). Two breeding tanks, 1 saltwater hospital tank, and 2 freshwater hospital tanks in my basement. Now that I'm much older, I have only a 55 g in my living room and a 10 gallon in my bedroom with 4 dwarf cories and a male betta in the little one. That's enough to still keep me working quite a bit.

Holly crap! I don't feel like I'm helping this little one as much as I should be. Did a 50% water change a few days ago. I've had a mess of problems with a few other tanks that I've been focused on more. But, I did a ammonia test today. Came out to be a little over .50 and under 1. So about .75 not good! I freaked out. Did 6-50% water changes. Cleaned out in intake tube and dunked the cartridge. Wiped the tank down, vacuumed, wiped heater. Goodness! Dosed with stress coat only on last water change. With a few extra drops. I noticed not eating much lately. Now I see why. Gonna throw some dried blood worms, maybe we can get back on track. Still looks good though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holly crap! I don't feel like I'm helping this little one as much as I should be. Did a 50% water change a few days ago. I've had a mess of problems with a few other tanks that I've been focused on more. But, I did a ammonia test today. Came out to be a little over .50 and under 1. So about .75 not good! I freaked out. Did 6-50% water changes. Cleaned out in intake tube and dunked the cartridge. Wiped the tank down, vacuumed, wiped heater. Goodness! Dosed with stress coat only on last water change. With a few extra drops. I noticed not eating much lately. Now I see why. Gonna throw some dried blood worms, maybe we can get back on track. Still looks good thought.
Hey there! I've followed your posts for quite some time now and I find that you do an overall good job with your hobby. I like to keep to natural solutions as much as possible...aquarium products help sometimes. I assume you use a product to neutralize chlorine and chloramine already. Might I suggest that you use Ammolock. It takes care of chlorine and chloramine too, but it also attaches a molecule to ammonia to prevent it from causing harm to your fish. It does not get rid of the ammonia and you tests will continue to show accurate ammonia levels. It also does not interfere with the nitrosomas bacteria ability to break the ammonia down into nitrites. I use it somtimes in the tank when I'm unable to do water changes when I'm just too busy to get to it right away. It's not harmful at all and works very well.

Hey there! I've followed your posts for quite some time now and I find that you do an overall good job with your hobby. I like to keep to natural solutions as much as possible...aquarium products help sometimes. I assume you use a product to neutralize chlorine and chloramine already. Might I suggest that you use Ammolock. It takes care of chlorine and chloramine too, but it also attaches a molecule to ammonia to prevent it from causing harm to your fish. It does not get rid of the ammonia and you tests will continue to show accurate ammonia levels. It also does not interfere with the nitrosomas bacteria ability to break the ammonia down into nitrites. I use it somtimes in the tank when I'm unable to do water changes when I'm just too busy to get to it right away. It's not harmful at all and works very well.
Think I might get some. I just like something good that keeps ammonia at bay. And has some kinda slim coat replacement as well. I've tried a few different ones. I've been trying out the stress coat just to see if it helps at all. I've any used it a few times. And I need something that's ok for plants.

Think I might get some. I just like something good that keeps ammonia at bay. And has some kinda slim coat replacement as well. I've tried a few different ones. I've been trying out the stress coat just to see if it helps at all. I've any used it a few times. And I need something that's ok for plants.
Ammolock is fine for plants too.

Back
Top Bottom