Save these piranhas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lareland

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys a not so smart hill jack friend of mine went out and bought a ten gallon tank for 3 4" (give or take) piranhas after I told him I wanted a piranha tank. After teaching him that this was a terrible idea he gave the fish to me because he felt bad and didn't want them to die. I put them in my already cycled 29 gallon tank that was ready for my other stocking plans until these guys showed up. :nono:

I absolutely love these fish. They are very interesting to watch. And very beautiful fish. I would love to keep them but need some help. I know they can't stay in this tank. They hide all day and haven't eaten hardly anything in about a week. For this reason I have a few feeders in there since I can't get them to eat anything else. They have only eaten one in a week and a half.

My questions are if I go buy a 55 gallon how long will that tank last these fish? I would be running a HOB penguin 350 filter and API Filstar XP-L canister filter both rated at 350 gph. Also what should I do about eating? And these fish hide ALL day. Will they open up with the bigger tank so I can actually enjoy these beautiful fish?

Thank you guys so much.

Also I just shut my filter off for cleaning and they immediately came out from their caves, looked around and started exploring. It is a quiet filter so I don't see why they would act so drastically different.

I would say for 4 red belly piranhas a 100 gallon tank is in order. They prefer subdued light along with some driftwood and tough leaved plants. Also strong filtration will be needed. I would look into multiple power filters or a canister. Also some circulation pumps should be used to simulate a light river current. Also I would stop feeding feeders as they are very low in nutrition and can introduce diseases to your fish. Look up piranha diet in aquarium for food ideas.

Okay thank you for your opinion. Does anyone else have anything different or think he missed something? I have done lots of research already and it's extremely varied so I just wanted to get as many of your guys opinions as I could to try to make sure I take care of them right. Since I know many of you have been here before and have a great passion for this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom