Scared Corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my tank set up for a few months and had my Cory's for 2 months. I have 4 Emerald Green ones. They aren't as social as I've read in other posts. If I sit still in front of my tank, they'll come out and forage, but if I move they swim like hell to hide from me. All my other fish swim up to see me and aren't scared, but the Cory's are. I have a 20 gallon with plenty of filtration, live plants and hiding places. Ph is 7.4, all levels are 0 except for I think it's nitrite is 5ppm, I get nitrate and nitrite mixed up. The bad one is zero and the not as bad is 5. Temp is 78 and I do a 24% water change every week. I also added melafix for 7 days to help my guppies tail heal. Any answers or hypothesis' would be appreciated. Thank you

How many other fish are in your tank? I once read that catfish (and I presume most bottom dwellers) judge how safe they are be how many other fish are around them. That's to say, if they don't see many (or any) fish above them then their instinct tells them there may be a predator nearby and to be on guard.

That's the best I could think of anyway. My Serpae tetras are skittish of me every morning, but by mid afternoon they swim up to the tank to greet me (For I am the food bringer!).

I've had my tank set up for a few months and had my Cory's for 2 months. I have 4 Emerald Green ones. They aren't as social as I've read in other posts. If I sit still in front of my tank, they'll come out and forage, but if I move they swim like hell to hide from me. All my other fish swim up to see me and aren't scared, but the Cory's are. I have a 20 gallon with plenty of filtration, live plants and hiding places. Ph is 7.4, all levels are 0 except for I think it's nitrite is 5ppm, I get nitrate and nitrite mixed up. The bad one is zero and the not as bad is 5. Temp is 78 and I do a 24% water change every week. I also added melafix for 7 days to help my guppies tail heal. Any answers or hypothesis' would be appreciated. Thank you

How did you come up with a such a specific 24% water change,LOL. That's funny to me. As for the emeralds , they may not be as social because I believe technically they're not cories, but just a species of catfish. I could be wrong though. Someone chime in if so.

I also have 4 guppies and 5 tetras with them. I put 24? That's a strange number. I meant 25. I also have 5 assassin snails to control my pest snail problem. They'll come out for food, but any little movement by me and they are hiding for a couple seconds, then back out.

could be, because corys prefer to be in groups of 6 or more, so with only 4 they do not feel protected. In the wild corys are often found in huge shoals of hundreds or more.

Back
Top Bottom