Schooling behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 5 guppies in one 10 gallon tank and was wondering what behavioral mean that by have schooled. I need to decide whether or not to get more. My tank is currently fully stocked by soon I'm getting a 5 gallon that I'll use for my betta and I'll probably put fry in there and the betta into his current one gallon ( I know, really small, that's y I'm getting the five gallon) so he betta will only be back in his small tank if I need the five gallon for fry, hospital, quarantine, or emergencies like the tank cracking... I had one emergency where fish kept dying and I didn't have a test kit ( I do now! Lol) so I lost 3 and I was at my dads house while this happened so my mom told me about it and I told her to change the filter media because it was due and she did and that solved the problem.

Changing the filter media, usually leads to the tank recycling. IME Guppies don't school, they just swim where ever they want, mostly at the top and the middle. I would put the fry in the one gallon and keep the Betta in the five gallon. Reason is that the fry will do just fine with pristine water and high quality food, the betta will suffer In a 1 gallon.

Just because guppies dont' school doesn't mean they're not social though! My 4 hang out all the time and seem more comfortable in each others' presence.

Guppies are not a schooling fish but they are a social fish. I would highly recommend keeping all male guppies so that you do not have fry and your betta can stay in his 5 gal, or leaving the fry in the 10 gal with the adults so that the betta can stay in his 5 gal.

I have four males and I think the other guppy is a female because it's still plain colored and has a pretty black tail but it's not full size yet so I can't sex it yet. I will try by looking at its parts...

See the female has a more triangular anal fin and the males is more elongated and held close to his body.
Malelivebearer.jpg
Femalelivebearer.jpg

Back
Top Bottom