Schultz Aquasoil ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, i have a 100 gallon planted tank with low to med light no Co2, I currently have 125lbs of sand blasting gravel in there I have had this set up for almost three years, and i have never liked the gravel and was thinking about changing over to the schultz aquasoil and was wondering what all of you guys and gals thought. If any of yall had any experience with it.

TIA

It's inexpensive, attractive, and a lot of people like it. I tried it once in a 5 gallon tank and I removed it within a few days. The water was still very cloudy. It was VERY dusty and that bothered me since I have asthma. I also had a lot of stem plants and disturbing this substrate to uproot and trim the plants would also cause a bit of the cloudiness to reappear. If you're not bothered by the dust and can wait for the cloudiness to settle, you may like it.

I don't Know I have a child with bad asthma, i have a lot of time to think about it concidering my current ICH problem that you have been helping me with. Thanks

I don't like it. I have it in my 36 corner and I am replacing it this weekend with PFS. Mine wasn't that dusty but released ammonia for a long time and my plants are not thriving. It is inexpensive but that's about all I like about it.

I personally like the ADA aquasoil. It is more expensive, but my plants absolutely thrive in it. They grow 3-4 times as fast as the plants planted in regular aquarium gravel. One downside, and I think you will find it with most of these planted tank substrates as it was alluded to above: You will get an ammonia spike that will last a while, so adding it to an existing tank may be difficult. It is probably better to "cure" it in a bucket or something for several weeks, with water changes to get rid of the ammonia.

with PFS do you get the ammonia? I am looking for a cheap substrate I love eco But I don't think I can afford enough for my tank.

Like said above, it's really dusty. This settles and can be cleared from the water using floss, but will kick up whenever you plant/replant. For stem plants, if you're going to use it, make a deep bed, it'll help hold the plants if you plant them deep, as it's really light and doesn't hold tremendously well.

All that said, I had huge success with it.

I never saw any ammonia with the Schultz Aquasoil. <i only did half the tank in the Aquasoil where I intend to have plants, and the rest of the tank is a kind of a pebbled beach in the front.>

I rinsed the heck out of it before use. <Put in a colander & turn on the garden hose.> I've never have problem with clouding, even with the goldies constantly digging. So I am happy with it.

jsoong, if you rinsed the crap out of it (no pun intended :) ) doesn't that take away from a lot of the benefit it is supposed to provide in the first place? I don't think you are supposed to do much more then a quick rinse with all the nutrient rich substrates.

I use half Schultz's and half pool filter sand. I rinsed it 3 times and I saw no ammonia whatsoever. It was a bit cloudy for a day but filter floss in the filter took care of that.

I didn't rinse it at all. Instead, I put it in, added water, and ran a HOB with just filter floss. Water was clear in a matter of hours.

There is no "good stuff" in schultz. Instead, it has a good CDC and will absorb nutrients if you dose ferts, and then supply them.

Other substrates, like amazonia and eco-complete, should absolutely not be washed, as those do have good stuff you dont want to rinse out.

Thjanks for the replies, I don't think I will go with this. Maybe just PFS I just really like the black or dark substrates. I will keep looking

jsoong, if you rinsed the crap out of it (no pun intended :) ) doesn't that take away from a lot of the benefit it is supposed to provide in the first place? I don't think you are supposed to do much more then a quick rinse with all the nutrient rich substrates.

Schultz is an inert substrate, so there is no nutrients to rinse out. For Schultz, you are supposed to add the nutrients (ferts) after it is set up.

EDIT: I see others had beat me to the post. :) Gotto learn to read the second page!

Last edited:
how about something like turface? its like 20ish for a 50 pound bag. 2 bags of that will give you more substrate then you need. i think i only used 1 bag in my 85 long. 72x16

I would love to use turface but I have not been able to find any around here I am in Lubbock Texas so if you know were to find it let me know. Oh and does it come in black?

Back
Top Bottom