Scooter blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not are if this applies but I had a small lawnmower blenny that didn't eat and eventually croaked, I now have a larger LMB that I've had for more than 2months and he would eat the algea off my LR and would also eat krill that I threw in for my clowns and azure damsels, he was getting fat. I mean big ol' belly, but I recently rearranged my LR and he's been very shy and lost his appetite for the krill, I think? But I just think it depends on the fish. He is still alive but is not as big as he once was. Best of luck!

So how long will the 6 oz bottle of copepods that I added a few days ago last? I won't be able to start training my scooter for about a week.

I too am interested in this conversation. I just bought a scooter blenny yesterday and I think he's pretty comical. He seems to hover.

I got mine 2 days ago Abd I already trained him on pellets and mysis what I did was put him in a breeders net or guppy net Abd then fed him in that and he started eating that,

callum15soccer said:
I got mine 2 days ago Abd I already trained him on pellets and mysis what I did was put him in a breeders net or guppy net Abd then fed him in that and he started eating that,

Should my lfs have that net? If not does like petco? And did you keep him in there the whole time?

Ajm said:
Should my lfs have that net? If not does like petco? And did you keep him in there the whole time?

Any fish store should, and I put him there just for feeding. While he was in there tho I would spray the mysis and pellets around him

callum15soccer said:
Any fish store should, and I put him there just for feeding. While he was in there tho I would spray the mysis and pellets around him

Okay I'll do that. Thanks for the advice.

This is a very interesting thread. I have a mandarin goby and worry about her diet

image-545209758.jpg

I just bought a scooter blenny and need some ideas of the best foods to try starting him on. And I'm also wondering how long a bottle of Copepods will last him.

I just bought a 6 oz bottle of Tigger Copepods made by Reef Nutrition. I do not have a sump or am I not ready to cultivate any copepods right now. All I want to do is feed my Scooter Dragonet. Can someone hint me as what is the best way to do it.

Thanks in advance

Itrained mine onto frozen food by feeding small amounts several times a day. I used a turkey baster and shut down the flow since they are so delicate eaters. It took about a month to wean mine onto frozen so i consider myself lucky. :)

good luck!

I've been wanting a mandarin goby for years but I'm afraid to get one due to them being known as picky eaters. When you QT them, is that the best time to try and train them to eat frozen foods etc? Or is this too stressful on them? How big of a tank do they need to be in? Guess I need to research it again. I pretty much gave up the idea when I read how hard it was to get them to eat.

I started both of my dragonets in a 29g biocube which gave me a great chance to get them eating prepared foods since the tank is so small. BUT I also have an ORA mandarin which was supposedly raised on pellet food so I may have had a head start with mine. I also had a refugium and lots and lots of pods in the tank which both dragonets ate up completely while they were being weaned which if I hadn't had in the tank there is no doubt in my mind both fish would not have made it.

Generally people say a mandarin should be in a super large tank only because the bigger the tank the more live rock and therefore more pods for them to eat. I've seen recommendations that they need a minimum tank size of 10g with 50lbs of rock!! They dont need the swim room but the pods that are on the live rock. That should give you some idea of what they require.

If I had the choice to make again whether or not to get a mandarin I might not be so gung ho in going with one. It was ALOT of work feeding multiple times a day and keeping the power in the tank off during feeding and then dealing with bad water parameters because of the over feeding. If you have the time, money and patience then i don't see why you couldn't try it if your tank is established.

carey said:
I started both of my dragonets in a 29g biocube which gave me a great chance to get them eating prepared foods since the tank is so small. BUT I also have an ORA mandarin which was supposedly raised on pellet food so I may have had a head start with mine. I also had a refugium and lots and lots of pods in the tank which both dragonets ate up completely while they were being weaned which if I hadn't had in the tank there is no doubt in my mind both fish would not have made it.

Generally people say a mandarin should be in a super large tank only because the bigger the tank the more live rock and therefore more pods for them to eat. I've seen recommendations that they need a minimum tank size of 10g with 50lbs of rock!! They dont need the swim room but the pods that are on the live rock. That should give you some idea of what they require.

If I had the choice to make again whether or not to get a mandarin I might not be so gung ho in going with one. It was ALOT of work feeding multiple times a day and keeping the power in the tank off during feeding and then dealing with bad water parameters because of the over feeding. If you have the time, money and patience then i don't see why you couldn't try it if your tank is established.

I'm having a hard time with mine. I was told when they start getting to the point of malnutrition I hear that their tail starts to turn a reddish color.

sanchezkk said:
I'm having a hard time with mine. I was told when they start getting to the point of malnutrition I hear that their tail starts to turn a reddish color.

Im not sure about that one but the best way to tell of hes malnourished is if the stomach is sunk in. A fat stomach means he is getting his fill.

Also to the above posters buying pods for a mandarin or scooter that you are trying to get to eat prepared foods is not a good idea. With plenty of pods they tend to not even look at prepared foods, so your kinda hurting your odds. I would reserve the pods for a malnourished fish if he refuses to eat prepared for a good 2 weeks.

Yeah. Mine has a reder tail yellow on his fins and he seems to be completely fine. I think he's even starting to eat the cyclopeeze I'm puttin in there.

Mine as well with a red tail and even a little of yellow on the fins. He eats the frozen food that I put in. I recently just copepods in but they disappeared but he seems to be fine

Well today I noticed my Scooter Dragonet eating the frozen Mysis Shrimp. I turned off all water circulation pumps and skimmer before I fed the tank and I saw him going at the Mysis as it dropped to the bottom of the tank. It gave me such a joy! Hallelujah!

sanchezkk said:
Well today I noticed my Scooter Dragonet eating the frozen Mysis Shrimp. I turned off all water circulation pumps and skimmer before I fed the tank and I saw him going at the Mysis as it dropped to the bottom of the tank. It gave me such a joy! Hallelujah!

Grats!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom