Scored a 35 Gallon Hex Tank on Craigslist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pton46

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just picked up a 35 Gallon hex Tank with Stand lid and a Aquaclear 70 for $60 bucks. I am think I am going to use it for one cool Betta tank.:dance:

With some additional Oto catfish and maybe a school of Tetras.

This way I can use my 5 gallon as a Med tank and just keep it up all the time...maybe?

Pics to follow.

The Stand was pretty rough, I am in the process of painting it. I forgot the before pics.

Just have a backup plan for the betta if it ends up yours is not a good candidate for a community tank.

I will.... I plan to keep the existing 5 Gallon up and Running in case things don't work out. If he does like it and it works his old tank will be my medical tank.

I'll Have Pictures soon....I leak tested yesterday and since it was nice out I was finally able to Clean it (White Vinegar Treatment). I'm awaiting on some stuff tomorrow from Amazon (an Internal Filter, new Heater and some odds and ends) I'm excited . My wife is way less than thrilled. It is set up in the dining room. With my Seeded Filter running and Dosed with Stability. I'll need to pick up some ammonia at ace. Plus I am going to try to make all of the Fake Plants myself. I have a dollar store that sells big Silk plants cheap. All non toxic and safe for Aquariums.....My Neighbor has Huge Bamboo plants looking to get some clippings of that as well and grow them underwater and put in after the cycle.

54607-albums9065-picture35091.jpg
54607-albums9065-picture35091.html

Here is the Start.

I plan to get some molding to tie the white Base into the Brown boarders of the Tank

54607-albums9065-picture35091.jpg

Here is the Start.

I plan to get some molding to tie the white Base into the Brown boarders of the Tank

That looks really good! Makes me mad for all the money I spent on my little one, shoulda checked craigslist lol.

Yeah Craiglists and ebay are good but buyer beware. I mean even though I leak tested 2x I was still nervous on Leakage, typically with a New one you have no or Little Worry on that happening.

Tanks are like Cars in that respect. Sometimes you will find a great deal on used one in good shape , but it is not the same as getting that "New" one with that "New Car/Tank smell"

LOL

I have 6 tanks, and I got ALL of them on craigslist. No problems to report so maybe I've just been lucky. I've spent a total of $120 on all of them combined.

Lol yeah that is true. I just checked around where I live and there is a 55 gallon with supplies that a college student needs to get rid of....now to convince my boyfriend

I've never bought a tank on craigslist, but every time we upgrade, we sell the previous tanks there. If it's 10 gallons, though, we just give it away on freecycle. ;)

I've never bought a tank on craigslist, but every time we upgrade, we sell the previous tanks there. If it's 10 gallons, though, we just give it away on freecycle. ;)

Usually no matter what the condition of the Tank, I Reseal any used tanks them because most of the time they had been in storage for a while. This one I got he just took out of service and all the seals looked in great shape so I gambled on it being good. Knock on wood no issues.

In college I become the Tank doctor Sealing Tanks in my Frat House.:drinking:

I was busy tonight, My football coaches meeting got cancelled (Yea I know Football, it is almost year around now). So I was Able to install the Amazon Order....New Internal Filter , Therm etc. I was thinking turning this into a "budget build". I'll list the Pics and a running list of the costs. The Goal is under $200 with fish (either Rehome from my other Tanks or new stock Purchase.)
I won't be transfering my Betta because of the current of the Internal Filter is probably too Strong from him. So maybe some Community Schooling fish ...

35 Gallon Hex Tank Build
Tank Stand & Glass top $60.00 on Craigslist
with Filter
Airpump $6.99 Walmart
Tubing $1.59 Walmart
Airstone $1.99 Walmart
Internal Filter $19.89 Amazon
Therm $2.89 Amazon
Heater $9.99 Amazon Elite 150 watts
Gravel $3.89 Walmart
Rock scape Free from Backyard
Silk Plants Free (made from old fake plants)
Paint for Stand Free (Exterior Paint left over from my shed)
Tile for Background Free (Extra from Tiling Mudroom)
Filter Media/Prime Not really free but source from my existing Supply.

Right now I'm up to $107.23
pictures maybe tomorrow.

All the Plants are set and the glue is drying should be ready by Tomorrow.

54607-albums9065-picture35235.jpg
54607-albums9065-picture35235.jpg

Here is the finished product, just awaiting the purchase of an over light, but for now while Cycling no need for it yet. I plan to get a Marineland LED lamp since it adjustable. Which should leave me some options for some live plants and a Little Stock. I will be moving my Rosy Danios and shoal of Tiger Barbs in there.

My total including the light s/b around 156 leaving 44 bucks under the $200 limit which lets face it I'll probably go over.

Marineland LED lamp coming tomorrow....49.98 on Amazon...

up to 156.96....under 43.04 underbudget....I have my eye on some Bolivian Rams and German Blues Rams for about 6 bucks a piece. My LFS will hold until my cycle is done....
My Bamboo will be coming this week, my neighbor has some good shoots coming in, getting them on the arm.....

Back
Top Bottom