Scotty's 10 Gallon Planted Bumble Bee Goby Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all. It is time for me to set up another tank :)

So for the start of my fish breeding room, I decided to start with a fish I have always wanted to keep- Brachygobius xanthomelas :)

I have always liked Gobies since I first saw them, which was honestly about 6 months ago. But I was instantly attracted to the cute little frowns and interesting behavior and color of these little guys. I decided to go with this type of Bumble Bee Goby, while not as colorful as the others, it's a true, freshwater Bumble Bee Goby. I am hoping to have a successful breeding Colony of BBG's, Desert Gobies, and Peacock Gudgeons.

A couple weeks ago a was surfing Craigslist for a few more tanks since I have decided I would like a small fish breeding room, and I figured since I would be buying so much stuff, I should look at Craigslist first to save some money. I found a man who had taken down his small fish room. He was selling everything, tanks, filters, heaters, lights, gravel, breeding supplies, etc, all for $100. So of course I bought it :)

Anyways, to the build.
I am planning on having a low maintnence, low tech tank, but still having a lush, thriving planted tank. I have a regular 10 gallon tank, with a 'homemade blend' of gravel from the previous owner. I am planning on switching to sand later on as I really am not a fan of all the different colors in the gravel. Even though it's a mix of crushed shells, sand, small and medium pieces of gravel, it's still too much color going on for my taste. Not sure what color sand I will pick, most likely white.

For filtration, I will be running an Aquaclear 20 with carbon (I had to use lime away to get the terrible calcium stains off the tanks! :eek: ) so even though I rinsed the tanks five times, I don't want to risk any residue still being in there.
There is also the sponge and ceramic biomedia that is being seeded in my planted 25 gallon tank, so hopefully I will get some fish in a couple weeks!

I am running an older heater made by PennPlax, not sure of the wattage. I filled the tank tonight, so in the morning I will see what the temp it's at and go from there.

For lighting, I am using a pink grow bulb that came with one of the other tanks, just until I get a different light fixture that actually fits this tank! The light doesn't really look pink at all in person, but beware, in pictures, it does.
If anyone has any suggestions for a light fixture for the tank that isn't too expensive, pleas let me know :) Just going to be growing low light plants.

For the scape, I plan to have mostly rocks to provide enough caves, nooks, and crannies for any grumpy Goby to claim as its own. I will have some low maintenance plants in the tank for cover and extra filtration.

For the stock, I am planning on buying six Bumble Bee Gobies. Even though these guys top out at .75", I am reading that they are fairly aggressive and like their space. Maybe I will add one or two more when I purchase them to give myself better chances of having a good mix of males and females.
I will probably also add a few rabbit snails, and maybe after the tank is established, I will add a few Amano shrimp.

I will post a few pictures in the morning after I get plants and rocks in the tank.

Thanks for reading,

Scotty

i'm sure you have done your research about their diet as well, it's cool how they only catch those critters that swim around them. looking forward to it

i'm sure you have done your research about their diet as well, it's cool how they only catch those critters that swim around them. looking forward to it

My trio swim all over the tank checking out the different food that I drop in. They spend a LONG time checking them out from every angle before they have a taste! Just as finicky as the embers!

My trio swim all over the tank checking out the different food that I drop in. They spend a LONG time checking them out from every angle before they have a taste! Just as finicky as the embers!

mine does that every now and then, but i think my gobies are the typical bumbleebee gobies. they will usually just chase down things that float around them. they wouldn't go to one end of the tank and then swim to the other end like neon tetras. so during feeding time, i make sure i drop a good amount of food near where they are

Hello all. It is time for me to set up another tank :)

So for the start of my fish breeding room, I decided to start with a fish I have always wanted to keep- Brachygobius xanthomelas :)

I have always liked Gobies since I first saw them, which was honestly about 6 months ago. But I was instantly attracted to the cute little frowns and interesting behavior and color of these little guys.
Can't wait to follow your progress :thumbs:
I love the cross expressions they have!
So cute :)
It's almost like they're short-sighted, the way the go right up close to things to check them out. It's nice to find a tiny fish that isn't timid!

Do you have any peacock gudgeons near you? Im excited to see the bumblebee setup once it's up and running :p

No, I don't. I live fairly rural, so my LFS, Petco, and Petsmart carry the typical Guppies, Mollies, Tetras, African Cichlids, Plecos, etc. To get anything 'unusual' I have to order them online.

Yep, planning on feeding frozen bloodworms (thawed) and live baby brine. I will target feed if I need to, not a problem :)

No, I don't. I live fairly rural, so my LFS, Petco, and Petsmart carry the typical Guppies, Mollies, Tetras, African Cichlids, Plecos, etc. To get anything 'unusual' I have to order them online.

My lfs has them XD as well as knight gobies. Really healthy too. I love their colors, but I like Dario Darios more

Here are some new pics! Got the filter running to pick up debris and move the water and heat about mostly while some media seeds in my other filter. The AquaClear 20 provides a fairly good flow around the tank, that should be helpful for feeding. Still tinkering with the heater. After I get some seeded media, I am planning on adding my male platy to the tank to hold the cycle since I don't have any pure ammonia. If platy's weren't such food hogs, I would consider leaving the little guy in here. He gets a bit bullied in my community tank.

Sorry for all the pink pictures! :lol: Also, ignore the mass of cords behind the tank. That will be there till I get a background and a powerstrip :) And ignore the terribly dirty glass in the first pic. :lol:

First scape attempt. Wasn't working for me.

Went outside and got some rocks. Rescaped, removed some plants. Going to stick a Java Fern in the rocks, and a Rosette Sword in the back left corner. I need some more root tabs! Haha!

I like the natural look of the rocks, and I hope they will provide enough caves for the Gobies. Plus, I *think* I will be able to view them, we'll see.

Anyone have suggestions for a cheaper light fixture for the tank? Just need low, possibly medium light capabilities. I'm already tired of pink pictures :(

Here are some new pics! Got the filter running to pick up debris and move the water and heat about mostly while some media seeds in my other filter. Still tinkering with the heater. After I get some seeded media, I am planning on adding my male platy to the tank to hold the cycle since I don't have any pure ammonia. If platy's weren't such food hogs, I would consider leaving the little guy in here. He gets a bit bullied in my community tank.

Sorry for all the pink pictures! :lol:

Stop teasing! Where are da pics?? :lol:

Plant list so far:

Wisteria, Crypt Wendettii Green, mystery plant, and a stem plant I forgot the name of... :lol:

I really like the new rock scape! I'm not sure whether you could house 6 BB gobies in one corner though- I think they might prefer to be positioned so that they can glare at each other :ROFLMAO:

Are you able to just replace the tube in your current fixture?

I have a Penn Plax Aquari Light FL-14 15" 14 Watt t8. Home made fixture by previous owner for another tank I own. This fixture needs to be used for that tank, so I was just borrowing it from that tank till I get a new fixture.

Back
Top Bottom