Scotty's 10 Gallon Planted Bumble Bee Goby Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is going to be really cool. If you lived next door, I'd just hand you two small work light fixtures from the hardware store to use, like these that I have in the shed.

Seriously, I use them on all the tanks except the Evolve 4s.

This is going to be really cool. If you lived next door, I'd just hand you two small work light fixtures from the hardware store to use, like these that I have in the shed.

I like those lights, I have one over my 16 bow
Also, the tank is looking great. The pink kills the vibe big time though :p

I use shop lights like that on my 25 gal. They work pretty well.

So, I got 100# of sand today :lol: Silica sand, white/tanish. Do you guys think I should replace the gravel with sand? I think it will look more natural.

I will be ordering the Gobies tomorrow, hopefully they will ship Monday and get here Tuesday/Wednesday since they are going across the state. Will the BB live until then with no ammonia in the tank? Just in case I added a few sinking waffers for an ammonia source.

So, I got 100# of sand today :lol: Silica sand, white/tanish. Do you guys think I should replace the gravel with sand? I think it will look more natural.

I will be ordering the Gobies tomorrow, hopefully they will ship Monday and get here Tuesday/Wednesday since they are going across the state. Will the BB live until then with no ammonia in the tank? Just in case I added a few sinking waffers for an ammonia source.

You should be fine. BB honestly can go weeks without food - not that I recommend that, but you'll be OK for a few days.

I am! Any tips?

when they're ready to spawn they can lay eggs in the caves or underneath some slate or driftwood. IME, it's better to add some pvc pipes in there so that the eggs are easier to notice. i like the way your rocks are placed, but when it comes to spawn-detecting, it might hinder a little on your side

when they're ready to spawn they can lay eggs in the caves or underneath some slate or driftwood. IME, it's better to add some pvc pipes in there so that the eggs are easier to notice. i like the way your rocks are placed, but when it comes to spawn-detecting, it might hinder a little on your side

Thanks for the tips! If I put PVC in there, will they choose to spawn in there over the rocks?

So, update and question

Updates:
Switched over to sand in the tank. Changed the scape AGAIN. It's looking better!
Had a 'mini' cycle. Tested water last night and it was: Ammonia 0, Nitrite, 5+ Nitrate 160+, so off the charts! So today I did a 60% water change, then a couple hours later a 95% water change probably overkill, but my levels are down. Nitrites are .25 ppm and Nitrates are 5-10. So getting better I suppose. Question: Should I do anymore water changes?? I added about 6 small goldfish pellets this evening, because I am afraid when I add all the fish (going to have to add 6 gobies, two amano shrimp, and a honey gourami all at once) that the levels will spike again and kill the fish. So, not sure what to do.
Update: Emailed to order fish Monday. Still haven't heard anything tonight. I have sent two emails. Wondering if it's because of the holiday, although it doesn't say anything on their website. I will give it till the 6th before I call or get really angry. HOPEFULLY, all the fish will ship on Monday. I ended up getting 6 Gobies, 1 Sunset Honey Gourami, and 2 Amano Shrimp to meet the $24 min. order for shipping. All I wanted was 5 Gobies, but a few extra tank mates (hopefully) won't hurt.
Plants are also maybe showing a wee bit of new growth. Still going to get a new light, though.

So fish need to go in, need to buy a new light (think I am going to get a finnex, not sure if I will get the ray or the ray2) get a few more plants (some tall crypts for the back, an anubias for the rocks, and a couple other assorted crypts for cover) and I need a background, then the tank will be complete. Then I can move on to breeding! (I will keep the breeding portion on this thread, also. )

Thanks for the tips! If I put PVC in there, will they choose to spawn in there over the rocks?

IMO it's function over form. obviously there's no way to tell which site the gobies will choose to spawn. what i was trying to say is that if you use pvc pipes, it's easier for you to notice spawning and eggs. that way you can react in a heartbeat. if you choose to put rocks/cave, they eggs might already hatch and you have no idea about them or the fact that the parents or other gobies making a dinner out of the frys. just my two cents

I agree that for practicality it may be better to ditch the current scape. It looks nice, however as said before you may have spawns you never know about. I'm worried about that for my 55, as there are so many spots for the apistos to spawn and I may not see. Thankfully apistos are good parents, but the fry won't be protected from other fish.

What about ceramic pots? Little ones of course. I think even that would look better than PVC pipes...

What about ceramic pots? Little ones of course. I think even that would look better than PVC pipes...
I think that those would work just as well. And I agree, they would look much better than the PVC (but then again it doesn't take much)! Can't wait to see them:)

Back
Top Bottom