Sea anemone?!?! Safe??? Need help with this!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bwilcox1208

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright so I was down at the San Diego bay, and looking around the rock piles and found tons of these. They look like anemones, they are green and they move to the touch. They are cool, they are about 4 inches across. I did smoe research and they look like Green Sea Anemones? Or Giant Green Sea Anemones. I was wondering if I could capture a few of these, and put them in my tank? Anybody know if you can or not? The water they were in was cold, but they were almost on the surface and splashing in and out of the water, so I would assume they are quite
hardy. I think they would survive! I really want one, so anybody that could help me would be great!
Heres a few pics!

Attachments

• IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1451.jpg
    IMG_1451.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 82
I don't know ehat they are, but I wouldn't try it. Put them in wamer, home aquarium and they'd likely miss the cold and die. How big and how old is your tank anyway?

I never liked the idea of taking stuff from the beach home. May be even a low against it. Dunno.

I don't know ehat they are, but I wouldn't try it. Put them in wamer, home aquarium and they'd likely miss the cold and die. How big and how old is your tank anyway?

I never liked the idea of taking stuff from the beach home. May be even a low against it. Dunno.

Alright, but I googles Green Sea Anemones and they look the exact same. Who knows....anybody else got any advice on these.

Water in your tank (76-80) would be too warm for them. Compared to tropical SW tanks we keep, even CA water is "cold".

Pretty sure CA has a law about taking stuff from the beach without a license. I know WA does, and your environmental laws seem a lot stricter than ours in general.

I agree. There is a big difference from most aquarium trade anemones and the ones we find on in US waters. If the water was cold, then it is used to the cold water and I agree, would die probably pretty fast if you put it in an aquarium.

Still pretty neat though, thanks for sharing!

I agree. There is a big difference from most aquarium trade anemones and the ones we find on in US waters. If the water was cold, then it is used to the cold water and I agree, would die probably pretty fast if you put it in an aquarium.

Still pretty neat though, thanks for sharing!

thanks for the info! leave the little critter alone then! no prob, any time

Back
Top Bottom