sea horses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dwarf seahorses can be kept in a pretty small tank (though stability is a huge factor in small tanks) but most seahorses will need about 30 gallons for a pair. Tall tanks work best because they swim vertically.
Lower flow than a reef tank, avoid anything that can sting them, such as an anemone, or most corals. Most fish will outcompete them for food.
They also like the temperature a few degrees lower than most reef fish/inverts. There are many great articles and sites online dedicated to this topic. I'm actually in the conceptual stage of designing a seahorse tank for a friend of mine.

How tall is it? You could *probably* keep two horses, or maybe half a dozen dwarf horses in it.

liveaquaria.com or reefs2go.com both sell them. I'm sure there are other places. I'd recommend trying to get them locally if possible so you can examine first and pick out healthy specimens.

Well, both of those websites come pretty highly recommended. I've never ordered from r2g, but I've had good experiences with liveaquaria. Search this forum for seahorses, see who else has them, and where they got them.

Dwarf seahorses are not likely to eat anything except live food. So you will have to raise food as well unless you have a steady local supply (daily). You can order a pair of H. Kuda or Erectus, they are fairly hardy (in terms of seahorses).

You will need to feed them multiple times per day (at least two). They need good water conditions and low flow (approx 10x or less). Do not have any other fish ,unless a blenny or such, as they are slow swimming and cannot compete for food against faster moving fish.

Frozen mysis are a good choice for the species I identified.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom