Sea monkeys as feed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfeman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My kids were asking if we could raise sea monkeys (brine shrimp) and then pour them into our freshwater aquarium as live feed for our fish. Not sure if it would work or is advisable, so I'm putting this out there to see if anyone has experience with it. Thanks in advance!

Hi Wolfeman,
Brine shrimp are an excellent source of protein for most small fish.
They are mostly used within the first 48 hours of hatching as the eggs sack is high protein.
After 2 days it is recognised that adult brine shrimp are only as good as their last meal ( stomach contents )

I raise a fresh batch of baby brine shrimp every day . Most of my adult fish will hunt them down. But cost wish it is a live food more suited to encouraging breeding and an essential food for some very tiny newly hatch fish.
What species of fish do you have?
There are many other live foods you can culture but I guess sea monkeys are more fun for the kids than grindle worms.mirco worms, white worms or wingless flies LOL.
I would encourage feeding any live food. Mosquito larvae are something the kids can watch fish hunt.
A strainer is used to remove the salt water from brine shrimp. Coffee paper works but a strainer will have you heading in the right direction.

I have about a dozen different species of fish, plus snails and shrimp. Biggest one I have is a 7-inch black bristle-nosed platy.

Your fish will thank you if you raise live food/ foods for them. There are a ton of U tube posts on raising baby brine shrimp. This guy actually does it every day and has the brine shrimp growing out to adulthood. He even has the brine shrimp breeding in a tank of their own. A real gentleman in the hobby is Mark.
https://youtu.be/C_FGEIhdA1k

Back
Top Bottom