Seachen prime question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Right after a long wait from the blumin Internet I have just received my bottle of prime
Dose: for every 200 Lt use 5ml of prime.
5s into 200 = 40
1ml will treat 40 Lt of water
0.5ml will treat 20 Lt of water
If I have calculated the dose right I need to add 0.5 ml of prime to every 20Lt of water change I do.
( this is not an issues I use a oral syringe to accurately measure dosage and can easily do 0.5 ml )

Am I right in thinking that prime will remove chlorine, chloramine, and change Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates to a none toxic form.

Lfs said that prime removes chlorine but then releases it again the next day so I will need to re-dose my tank again if I use it during the cycling period
Is this true?
I have read the information on the side of the bottle and it said nothing about having to re- dose during cycling.

If it's true
Is this ammonium it's releasing or chlorine?
I am assuming it's ammonia in it's harmless detoxified form, as the other will be bad for my bio filter.

Will be happy when it's cycled I can get on with my life then

No, once it breaks down chlorine/chloramines they are gone for good. Ammonia/nitrite are only bound for up to a 48 hour period.

When you are redosing, you could be doing a partial water change as well, it's likely needed. (a test kit will tell you this)

Ask your LFS for some established media so you can jumpstart the bacteria, it'll be done in no time.

I use Prime too, it's good stuff.

Just don't rely on it exclusively during a cycle if you are cycling with fish (are you? Sorry, didn't see that in your post). Test water daily with a good liquid test kit like API. If ammonia and/or nitrItes are at or over 0.25 ppm, you need to do at least a 50% pwc to bring them down to safer levels; you may need to do this at least once per day, sometimes maybe twice, for quite a while. The level of what the test kit says will tell you how much of a water change to do (example: if ammonia is 0.5, a 50% water change will bring it down to 0.25 which is still high for fish, another 50% water change after the first would bring it down to .0125 which is better; then test again later in the day and do water changes as needed). Don't forget to add Prime to your tap water and match the temperature of the water as closely as possible to the temperature of the tank water so as not to shock the fish.

Anything over 0.25 of either of these could kill or damage your fish. Keep nitrAtes below 40 ppm, better below 20 ppm, although depending on where you are in the cycling process you might not see nitrAtes for a while. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom