Seahorse help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThrowedToad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to the beach yesterday and in the tide pool I managed to catch this seahorse. I don't really know what I was doing when I decided to keep him but it is done now. I have acclimated it and it is also eating frozen food for now, (I have some brine shrimp hatching for him). I am going to need some help keeping him alive. I have a empty (as far as fish and coral) 10 gallon tank with some snails that has been running for about a year all water parameters are fine and he seems to be doing good. I just need some info as far as long term captivity! http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o154/throwedtoad/S7300292.jpg

Also any info on what type of seahorse this is would be greatly appreciated!

I'll let the experts chime in on this one for sure. But, I would almost hazard a guess that you may need a chiller if you found this guy on an NC beach. I know the water doesn't typically get very warm. I imagine, too that it wil lbe need to be fed live food, being wild caught. I hear wild ones are hard to keep. I know theres a few good seahorse websites out there. Good luck!

Thank you! it is eating some tiny hermits I caught with it and I am trying to hatch some brine shrimp for it (any help with this would be awesome!). I almost crapped myself when I saw it in my dipnet. I didn't think you could catch them in a tidepool!

It looks to be Hippocampus erectus and fairly common in the tidepools from NC down to Texas gulfs.

Back
Top Bottom